Discovery Sport Talk about the new 2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport

2015 Discovery Sport Owner Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Time for another status update.....

It appears Land Rover is attempting to make running changes to what was originally offered with our Discovery Sport.

We were recently sent a letter from Land Rover which confirmed that our vehicle build specifications included a luggage compartment cover as standard equipment which they just now offered to provide. Our dealership has already provided one for us so no harm nor foul, but wait there's more.

Land Rover goes on to state that they inadvertently informed us we were to receive a complimentary first scheduled maintenance with our vehicle purchase (it's on the window sales sticker!) In lieu of this first free maintenance Land Rover wants to offer us a $300 owner loyalty certificate good towards parts, service, or accessories. They want us to sign this $300 waiver agreement and mail it back to them before September.

I could be wrong but isn't the first full maintenance over $300 at the dealership?

We also recently received an email from Land Rover which states a change to its terms of service regarding the Remote and Protect package starting on July 25, 2015. Land Rover will now offer an InControl Trial Plan, InControl Live, and InControl Pro features. Please Note that vehicles purchased PRIOR to July 2015 will be unaffected by the changes.
Taking a shot in the dark here, but it seems like Land Rover is converting the InControl remote and protect system over to a monthly or yearly subscription fee with a short trial period.
FYI - Our InControl Subscription shows as active until 2019.

Still no official word from Land Rover on the $950 paint overcharge error on our invoice so our dealer approved an accessory credit to offset the invoicing error.
We had our dealer install the factory tow package with the electric trailer brake controller with our credit.
NOTE: Do not let the installing dealer permanently mount the brake controller anywhere under the drivers side dash until you can confirm the location will not impinge on your knee room! We found the optimal mounting location (for us) to be inside the front center console just in front of the retractable shifter ****. It's easily accessible for quick brake adjustments yet out-of-the-way and with enough space remaining in the compartment to hold a cell phone in the tray.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:37 PM
Drifting

Here are some photos of our electric brake controller location and of the hitch assembly installed on the vehicle.
The dealer had to do a cut out modification to the rear lower panel for proper installation and they did an excellent job. We really like the hidden fold away electrical plug plate assembly. (See photos, one down, one folded up)

Name:  q8zgQDf.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  439.7 KB

Name:  qatdZSc.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  794.5 KB

Name:  7DFp0pV.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  986.4 KB

We will post on how it performs towing in the next few weeks.

Last edited by HSE_LUX; 07-16-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Fixed photo links
The following users liked this post:
lenvo65 (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 09:03 AM
8th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see that it is a Curt electric brake controller - is the hitch itself and the retractable electric plug a OEM land rover part or also aftermarket? We plan to add a hitch to our Discover Sport, which is on order, but the dealer seems to have little details on the towing accessories, their availability, pricing etc.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by lenvo65
I see that it is a Curt electric brake controller - is the hitch itself and the retractable electric plug a OEM land rover part or also aftermarket? We plan to add a hitch to our Discover Sport, which is on order, but the dealer seems to have little details on the towing accessories, their availability, pricing etc.
Some dealers charge more for parts and accessories than others but the below prices are from our local dealer.
The OEM tow hitch was $648 for our 5 seat model and the 7 seat version is $756. The OEM wiring kit is the same price for both models $165. We are not sure of the exact cost of the brake controller but it was an OEM dealer supplied item. You will also need a Land Rover tracking target sticker for your trailer which is about $8.00 (triangle white sticker with 3 black tracking circles inside it). We would not recommend purchasing the Land Rover drawbar from the dealer at $274 or more; you can pick up a generic one that is the correct length just about anywhere for around $40 with a ball. We were also informed that the computer system needed to be programmed by the dealer to accept the new tow package features. Labor for the complete install was around $650 which included the rear panel modification and computer reprogram.
You may want to have your dealer request that the Land Rover part warehouse open the tow hitch box and visually verify it is correct before they ship it out. The first one our dealer received had the correct USA hitch part number on the outside of the box but when they opened it up, it contained the European tow hitch assembly with a permanently fixed drawbar and ball. We had to wait for them to ship another one out.

Last edited by HSE_LUX; 07-19-2015 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-18-2015, 08:48 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks HSE_LUX for the great information! My Sport (SE with extras I guess?) has 1,500 miles on it and I'm loving it so far. But they neglected to put the "Sport" badging on it which I already had to get replaced.

I also wondered about the cargo cover so this was great information. Apparently mine didn't come with one. I might get it . . .

Old 07-19-2015, 05:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by buzzybee328
I also wondered about the cargo cover so this was great information. Apparently mine didn't come with one. I might get it . . .
Here's what the 5 seat model looks like with a cargo cover and the factory rubber mat installed. This picture was taken with the rear seats fully reclined and the seat position slid all the way back.

Name:  L3GWd9h.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  1.40 MB

Last edited by HSE_LUX; 07-19-2015 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-20-2015, 10:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for the updates. We got ours in May and our sticker notates 4 years of InControl remote and protect service.
We did not have the cargo cover option on our window sticker... Since the Launch edition that I initially test drove had the cargo cover in it, we just assumed that surely an HSE Lux would come wih one and we were not told differently.

Im going to check on the first service.

I really like the tow hitch. Looks good. Im glad to see it because we will most likely be having one installed within the next year. I am looking forward to hearing how the hitch works and how the Disco Sport tows.

Its kind of funny, this is the first LR weve owned and I knew all about the trailer targets and the individual trailer mode programming. I brought it up to my sales rep about it and she had no idea what I was talking about, Wow....

Last edited by Daytoman; 07-20-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:55 PM
8th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, what a great truck!

I did not get my wife's Discover Sport yet, but today I attended the Land Rover Experience mini school at Monticello Motor Club where we drove Every model we wished up, over around and through steep hills, rock paths, 2 ft deep pools of water, wood log bridges, and muddy mucky trails. the Disco sport did everything the full size Range Rover could, as well as the LR4 too. Climb up a 45degree hill looking straight up at sky, pause at the peak and over and down using descent control. Through side by side whoop do dos hanging one wheel up in the air and then the next, slowing dropping the wheels back and forth like a teeter-totter to grip our way through.

A little less ground clearance than the big boys, but got through nicely with just a little scraping of the bottom, particularly one of the exhaust hangers right at the break over point.
Really had a great day, if anyone gets the chance to do this through your dealer or otherwise, jump at the chance. Thank you Ron, Kaitlyn and Bill at prestige Land Rover for inviting me, and thanks to Chris and Jim from the Land Rover experience traveling team for showing me the ropes of real off-roading.

Can't wait for the truck to get here!

Attached Thumbnails 2015 Discovery Sport Owner Review-img_1248.jpg   2015 Discovery Sport Owner Review-img_1247.jpg   2015 Discovery Sport Owner Review-img_1244.jpg  

Last edited by lenvo65; 07-21-2015 at 10:21 AM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 07-28-2015, 03:32 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HSE_LUX
Here's what the 5 seat model looks like with a cargo cover and the factory rubber mat installed. This picture was taken with the rear seats fully reclined and the seat position slid all the way back.

I like it! It looks great - I need one. I do have a question for you and anyone else who sees this. I have no idea the best way to clean the dash. I'm also wondering especially about how to clean the textured material on the doors. It seems to get junk caught in it and I don't know if I should be using a toothbrush?

Old 07-30-2015, 09:53 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by buzzybee328
I like it! It looks great - I need one. I do have a question for you and anyone else who sees this. I have no idea the best way to clean the dash. I'm also wondering especially about how to clean the textured material on the doors. It seems to get junk caught in it and I don't know if I should be using a toothbrush?
We use Meguiar's Leather Wipes on the leather seats and the dash. They won’t fall apart and leave lint on the rough dash and upper door surfaces.

Quick Reply: 2015 Discovery Sport Owner Review