Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Head Gasket Repair on DISCO II 2002

Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done three head gasket jobs myself in my driveway and some extra key tools I believe will come in handy is a pipe to put over the socket wrench for extra power when taking off and putting on the head bolts. either a 16mm impact swivel or a 1/2 drive impact swivel socket for 2 of the head bolts near the firewall. A must is one of those extension pens with the magnet on the end which will help a lot for dropped screws. A 36mm wrench for taking of the fan clutch bolt. A rubber hammer and small, medium and large pry screw drivers. a black marker and zip lock baggies to put the screws in and mark them. maybe some solvent to clean parts. A small cardboard box to stick the push rods in and make sure you put them back in the same order you took them out. Some blue medium lock tight for the intake bolts and valve cover bolts. A liter or quart in your case for squirting over the internal parts when putting back together. Most important a 3/8 torque wrench. lol a case of brake parts cleaner and some good penetrating spray. Plastic scraper and a small razor blade scraper. work light a must and a big *** bottle of IBUPROFEN for when you run into head aches. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad to see everyone still digging in to take care of their head gaskets.

More so to see the degree of support that has come to everyone's aid!

I have more new headsets in stock along with bolts and the upper plenum gasket. I also include the o-ring for the heater feed pipe if anyone needs that as well.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luke21

I guess I am just asking if there is any tip where you know I will be scratching my head etc. Also is there anything else I should do, I did the plugs two weeks back and will do the leads also this week. What sort of time frame should I expect as a guideline.

Thanks!!!
Take lots of pics and notes about the pics . It will help with reassembly.I kept good records and pics to refer too when I did my headgaskets. Its tedious but don't get in a hurry, if you get frustrated - walk away for awhile. clean out holes where headbolts go dont't let them hydrolock.
Good luck

Old 07-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can a sealant be used as a quick/temporary fix foebr a blown head gasket...left side?

Old 07-20-2016, 10:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by MysteeklRover
Can a sealant be used as a quick/temporary fix foebr a blown head gasket...left side?
If just a typical coolant passage external seeping you might want to consider K-Seal which costs 10-15 bucks.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:13 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After replacing head gasket

Hi im new here not sure if I'm in the right place but will put my problem out there for any help possible. I've just replaced a blown head gasket done the job myself as on a single pedant pension cant afford a mechanic so I've done the job my self all seemed to of went well. Put new oil in put new coolant in no leaks after sitting for a couple of days. While purging sequence being done for about the 15 th time over 2 days still no leaks no oil in coolant no water in engine oil then the td5 started to sound like it was finally going to start. The engine warning light came on so checked the coolant level it had dropped which I anticipated it would as airlock finding they way out. Retopped it started cranking again engine warning light came on open the bleeder screw on top hose noticed oil thought maybe just some oil id never got out from cleaning the system. Checked the engine oil it was mild white so drop the sump out and got at least 4 lts of coolant in the sump. Renewed oil renewed coolant first crank oil is in water and water is in the oil sump again. Does anyone have an idea of what is causing this. My hopes are its not the head gasket again. The head wasn't checked as I couldn't afford it and needed the car desperately. But my thoughts are if it where the head why would it crank over at least 15 times over a few day period and not leak oil or water. But that is only my thoughts. Any help please

Old 12-14-2020, 05:48 AM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

You're likely to find more responses if you post in the D2 forum, even though this section is marked for Engine issues.
Also, the participants tend to be more familiar with the petrol engine than the td5 as most are in North America.