Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

LR 4.0/4.6 Custom Valvetrain/Roller Rocker Setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 03:55 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up LR 4.0/4.6 Custom Valvetrain/Roller Rocker Setup

So, how many of you guys are tired of the stories about rocker arms fracturing or the steel buttons falling off and the valve stem mutilating the arm? Yeah, me too, and I wasn't ok with dropping the major coin on a YT setup (with shipping for shafts, cradles, and arms I couldn't find it for less than $1800USD) so I decided when I built my new motor that I wasn't dealing with any of that crap anymore, so I designed and did all the CAD work for a stud mount roller rocker conversion for my 4.6 in my discovery 2. Basically what gets replaced is the lifters (however it looks as though you could possibly use the stockers), pushrods, old rockers arms and shafts come out, new stud mount adapter plate mounted in place, then custom made offset self-centering roller rockers mount to that. Oiling path is rerouted to first feed the lifter then pushrod to roller rocker cup, bearing, and so on. No more bronze bushings, everything is nice roller and/or needle bearing now. The only hiccup is the baffles under the valve covers had to come out in order to accommodate the extra height inside, however I've had this setup running on my personal LR now for 10k miles and don't have any oil consumption issues. Anyways long story short I'm not interested in getting rich off this stuff but thought this might be something that my fellow 4.0/4.6 LR V8 guys might be interested in converting to and might help save some extra disco 2's from the scrap yard. I think grand total for everything to swap the valvetrain over I ended up in the $1200-1300ish range, but I felt the peace of mind in never worrying about the stock setup failing me was worth it.
Thanks!
Mike

Doing some original mockup prior to the CAD work.

Finished and preload set, ready to get the valve covers back on.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

If I wasn't planning a full engine swap, I would be all over this. Interested to see the forum response though. Looks good!

Old 01-17-2017, 06:42 PM
Drifting

I'm definitely very interested. Like I said, I didn't initially develop any of this to make money off of it, it was merely my own answer to solving a perceived problem on my own personal vehicle. Originally I made all of this stuff and didn't really tell anyone about it until one of my friends mentioned that I should probably at least say something about it to the enthusiasts(crazies like me lol) It's funny because I built my disco 2 to just be a weekend toy, because by reputation I wasn't expecting it to do much more than that, however it's been so dead reliable ever since I built it that I find myself daily driving the thing quite frequently just for the fun of it!

Old 01-18-2017, 08:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

That's brilliant. Very nice job. Bit out of my price range but very very cool.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
That's brilliant. Very nice job. Bit out of my price range but very very cool.
Thanks!

I wrote a buddy of mine that lives down south of me but has a HAAS 5-axis in his garage, I'm hoping he'd be willing to make some of the stuff for me at a reduced price and that it might be something I could possibly offer to forum members, at least that's what I'd like to happen, we'll see when I hear back from him!

Old 01-18-2017, 09:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Doing this in combination with flanged liners , a cam, improved cooling system, quality headgaskets...would really make the Rover V8 much improved.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
Doing this in combination with flanged liners , a cam, improved cooling system, quality headgaskets...would really make the Rover V8 much improved.
Absolutely agreed, which is why that's exactly what I did I run a stage 2 Crower cam with this setup(very very mild and will still pass smog but helps the low and mid range a tad), Comp Cams 0.080 chromoly pushrods, Cometic MLS headgaskets, LA flanged sleeves, and since it was all fresh I run nothing other than the Audi/VW pink coolant now with the lower temp T stat. She runs great, I couldn't be happier. I drive her all over now whether it be the Grand Canyon or BFE Utah, I'm no longer worried about too many things going wrong.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:06 PM
Winching
Received 199 Likes on 99 Posts

What ever happened to this?

Old 01-29-2022, 09:16 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bumpety bump

Old 01-29-2022, 03:34 PM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

OP's last activity on this forum was in 2017. Bumping isn't likely to do much.

Quick Reply: LR 4.0/4.6 Custom Valvetrain/Roller Rocker Setup