Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

MSD DIS-4Plus Dizzy delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 04:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few years ago MSD had a system where you could do a total "Coil Per Cylinder" aka a distributorless system. However I guess to lack of interest they discontinued it??.... I've found other means of making a distributorless system by utilizing some other components; However I haven't totally built the system.

You have a 6AL-2? How were you going to wire that?

This link has the old MSD distributorless system. "scroll down"

For Sale - C&M Performance

I made a video of my MSD 6A, 8910 tach adapter, 8680 Timing timing retard or advance.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

I haven't looked into the wiring yet. Got the 6AL2, blaster coil, and tach adapter all new for like $200.
So what other components are you using? I'd be interested in losing the dizzy, not so much on the water (not now anyway ).
Thanks!

Old 04-25-2015, 05:21 PM
Three Wheeling

I Haven't built the Distributorless system yet. When I was building my MSD 6AL I was stuck with alot of questions, so I wound up just building off of my existing system...keeping the dizzy.

Now that I have some more research and understanding I'll go back and build up a system. MSD, Holley and some other companies are making distributoerless systems.

The major hurtle you have to cross is the timing "when to spark/inject"....Like "IHscouts" said at the beginning of this forum.

Basically I haven't had the time to play around the crank triggers or timing curves.

Let me know if you know any other clues to this puzzle.

Last edited by 95RoverLWB; 04-25-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:46 PM
Camel Trophy

Thanks, I'm pretty new to all this so I doubt I'll have any revelations, LOL.
What dizzy are you running? And how vital is the 8680 Timing adjuster?

Old 04-26-2015, 09:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I'd say you got on helluva deal on your parts there fish!

The adjuster will allow you to run regular pump gas or tune for the trail. Not a bad thing really for a 4X4 that gets used. Is it gonna be your daily? The reason I ask is because you can adjust for the best fuel mileage. It's not vital that you have it but it's worth the trouble to install it.

You guys have to keep the guts of a dizzy to turn your oil pumps, that's why I showed the pic. The guy running that setup was tuning with a MegaSquirt pro box (pre-tuned) and raced his RV8 MG on weekends. I wouldn't think it's too far out on a MSD setup. Trigger mounted to the crank damper/pulley for a SB Buick.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:31 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ihscouts
I'd say you got on helluva deal on your parts there fish!

The adjuster will allow you to run regular pump gas or tune for the trail. Not a bad thing really for a 4X4 that gets used. Is it gonna be your daily? The reason I ask is because you can adjust for the best fuel mileage. It's not vital that you have it but it's worth the trouble to install it.

You guys have to keep the guts of a dizzy to turn your oil pumps, that's why I showed the pic. The guy running that setup was tuning with a MegaSquirt pro box (pre-tuned) and raced his RV8 MG on weekends. I wouldn't think it's too far out on a MSD setup. Trigger mounted to the crank damper/pulley for a SB Buick.
This will be on a designated trail/adventure truck, but will still see a fair amount of highway miles getting to the trails. I'll probably start with the components I have and see how it goes. I can always add the timing adjuster later I guess. I'll probably keep the dizzy for now too.

So now the question is do I just run a stock distributor or try an upgrade??

Old 04-26-2015, 02:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I'd only go aftermarket if I was overhauling and increasing performance. If it's just gonna be the same ol untouched lump I'd just rebuild the stock dizzy for reliability.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Three Wheeling

If you watched my video you would have noticed that I still used my stock dizzy. you have to consider a few things...

reliability
performance
your mechanical ability
and other things...

The way I have the system set up is for reliability and performance.

For any reason the MSD system fails I can swap back to the stock wiring and get myself out of the woods. "with only a few wire swaps" If you got a performance dizzy you wouldn't be able to do this because you are 100% relying on the MSD system to NOT fail. T

The MSD system doesn't like to talk to the ECU "a voltage fluctuation that I figured out" so if you loose your aftermarket dizzy or any component in the MSD system...your screwed.

I'll post another video this weekend of my system "update". Ill try and explain my timing retard and dizzy and compare it with a stock rover.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:31 PM
Camel Trophy

Since this will be on a dedicated trail truck reliability and ease of trail maintenance are key. So I'll be sticking with the stock Dizzy then. I'll also be setting it up so it can easily be reverted back to stock as you have done and as seen in this other video.
Thanks for your help with this!

Originally Posted by 95RoverLWB
If you watched my video you would have noticed that I still used my stock dizzy. you have to consider a few things...

reliability
performance
your mechanical ability
and other things...

The way I have the system set up is for reliability and performance.

For any reason the MSD system fails I can swap back to the stock wiring and get myself out of the woods. "with only a few wire swaps" If you got a performance dizzy you wouldn't be able to do this because you are 100% relying on the MSD system to NOT fail. T

The MSD system doesn't like to talk to the ECU "a voltage fluctuation that I figured out" so if you loose your aftermarket dizzy or any component in the MSD system...your screwed.

I'll post another video this weekend of my system "update". Ill try and explain my timing retard and dizzy and compare it with a stock rover.