Forum Help & Suggestion Center This section is NOT for vehicle technical questions. This section is for problems or suggestions for the forum itself.

New 99 Disco 2 owner things to know?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 06:16 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 99 Disco 2 owner things to know?

Hello Land rover community this is my first post on here and I was just wondering what are some of the things I need to know about owning a 99 discovery 2 I got it for 800 bucks and I am out of Oxnard ca it has 100k miles the water pump and thermostat has been replaced due to pump going out on previous owner also have oil all over pan I just wanted to see if I could get some help on what I should do maintenece wise before I put a lift and new tires thanks a bunch guys

Old 12-24-2016, 03:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Welcome to the family. Check the forums on the discovery 2 section. There is a good "sticky" on Maitenance and anybody would be glad to give you some info. I've got a disco 2 myself and the 1st thing I did was changed all the fluids. Don't have a transmission flush(too much pressure on something that old). The engine is notorious for leaks. It's a remade Buick v8 from the 60's. make sure your front driveshaft if replaced with a serviceable one or you could be down and needing a new transmission. A lot of us use lucky 8 llc (google them for their website). Great group of people who love rovers and know their stuff. Be ready for sometime in the future for a head gasket job. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but most of us have done em (hell im in the process of doing one now). Dexcool was notorious on those things. Download you a copy of the rave manual. You should be able to get it for free in PDF form from www.landroverresource.com if my memory serves me right. But just post on the discovery 2 specific forum with anything you need to know or want advice on. We are all there to help each other and have a lot of good write ups with pictures on how to do some stuff if you get confused.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Agree with all of the foregoing.

I think the biggest thing is to never let it overheat. The previous owner probably did, hence the new water pump and thermostat. As long as you aren't losing coolant it is probably okay.

Oil on the pan is usually from the front seal right behind the pulley or the oil pan gasket. Both can be replaced with the engine in. I've also had oil come out of the oil pressure sending unit but that's pretty rare and also an easy fix with the engine in. See if you can find out where it is coming from.

Welcome to the forums!

​​