Forum Help & Suggestion Center This section is NOT for vehicle technical questions. This section is for problems or suggestions for the forum itself.

recommend new section or stickes for adventure ready vehicles the do's & dont's, prep

Old 03-01-2016, 08:13 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Exclamation recommend new section or stickes for adventure ready vehicles the do's & dont's, prep

As I sort out all the mechanics of my D2, and ready myself for some serious adventuring I begin to realize the lack of useful overland/offroading information on this forum. Perhaps this is in part because most of the folks registered are here to discuss mechanical repairs and maintenance. I think new sections or stickies should be created that cover the "do's" & the "dont's" for offroading and overlanding adventures. For example a sticky that discusses water crossings in a P38 or D2 What to watch out for, what to protect, how deep to go depending on your lift etc. Maybe a sticky that discusses proper weight loads on roof racks and towing. A sticky that discusses rock crawling. Like the recommend gear ratios, tires and armor for crawling over massive boulders. A sticky that discusses how to when to use your CDL and low range etc.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:22 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Check out Expedition Portal. Even there, about half of it is builds that will never go anywhere, but the other half is some serious adventuring.

I can tell you that to go the distance on long treks in faraway places, you want to minimize risk. Adventure involves some risk by definition, but if you have to do stunts to add the risk to it, it's more like recreational four-wheeling than what I would call adventure. Adventure is risky because you're in the middle of the Sahara Desert, a 100km from the nearest living soul, and it's not the time or place to try a risky stunt.

Gunther Holtorf drove over 500,000km through 179 countries in one vehicle. He had one accident in the 26 years he spent traveling. He never went above 50mph. I can assure you he didn't do any stunts, but what he did accomplish plenty of adventurers would envy.

Adding super capability to the vehicle is not the key. Having super self-control, and acquiring skill and wisdom is a lot more important. Even so, Gunther has remarked that the capabilities of his vehicle astonish him. I can tell you that is not because they are so high. The 300GD is about as or even less capable than a stock D2 with selectable lockers. What's astonishing about it is the ability of the vehicle to deliver that capability continuosly, almost indefinitely, as long as the driver doesn't ever exceed it.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:27 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Garish sponsor stickers, shiny lights, flags, and flashy stuff on the roof rack draw a lot of attention to your vehicle and therefore, make it a target for theft, vandalism, and solicitation of bribes.

There's not many uninhabited places to drive a vehicle. Even though we talk about "offroad," we actually almost always drive on some kind of road. It's just that the road is an unimproved trail. Even the Rubicon is a road. And roads mean people. Adventure travel is even more about people than it is about vehicles. Part of becoming experienced in adventure travel is learning to interact with people that are very diverse in cultural, linguistic, and socio-economic profiles. Your own personality is the most important input you have to this interaction, but your vehicle plays a part in the impression you make. Generally speaking, you reduce risk by minimizing how much of your image the vehicle impresses on people. Using discretion can increase your security and avoid potentially grievous problems.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Web wheeling at its finest!!!!!

Less talk, more doing. I've learned more about offroading by actually doing it than by reading any forum.
Nut up and hit the trail.

Last edited by fishEH; 03-04-2016 at 04:25 PM.