Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

3rd High pressure diesel pump in 3 years - Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 05:24 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd High pressure diesel pump in 3 years - Help

My Freelander2 was purchased new in June 2010

In April 2012 I was driving across the German motorways at 80mph returning from a holiday in Austria with a quarter tank of fuel when the engine lost all power
Got towed to a local landrover main dealer who said the high pressure diesel fuel pump had failed and they replaced it under warranty

Exactly one year later.... last week April 2013 ... again driving across Germany after my usual winter holiday in Austria 80mph, quarter tank left .... the engine lost power
and I was towed to dealer. The pump had failed AGAIN - so again a new pump was fitted

I had the furl checked .. no waxing, the deisel was fine and the filters fine

I am now on my 3rd pump and am worried when this one will fail !!

I have discovered this link that states there are potential problems with earlier pumps - but only a short supply of upgraded pumps are available
http://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums...3/SSM48197.pdf

I have asked if the latest replacement pump is the new spec and am told it is not - as there is a backlog for them and the Dealership was told by landrover assist to get my car back on the road - so I have a standard pump

My issue is that my 3 year warranty expires in 2 months time ..... and I am stuck with a fuel pump that consistantly fails

I was thinking it may be a cold issue - I stay in austria for up to 4 weeks each winther - the car is garaged every night - the outside temperature drop to minus 15 most nights - but In Austria it is the law that all diesel sold is good for minus 30 degrees. I also asked the last dealer to check my diesel in the tank for contaminates and he said it was fine

landrover is a popular car in Austria - and I dont see them broken down by every roadside

Any ideas what my options are ... can I insist the new style pump is fitted back in the UK under warranty... Will landrover extend my Warrenty for say anothr 2 years to cover the new pump ?

All suggestestions warmly welcome