Go Back   Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum > Vehicle Line Up > Freelander
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2006, 12:34 PM

Default Diesel freelander engine not starting

Gents I have a 1998 Landrover Freelander 2.0 Diesel. I ran into problem when the drive belt broke. It got behind the timing belt cover
and caused the timing to go off resulting in valve damage.
New valves, new valves seals, new valves followers, new cylinder head gasket were installed. After this the engine was restarted and noticed that the rpm keep creeping up. The engine was switched off before severe damage takes place. The next step was that the injectors were removed for cleaning. Also the top of the injection pump was removed for inspection(bad decision). The engine never started again.
The injection pump was send to Holland for revision but I was informed that the pump was so worn out that economically it would not be worthwhile to repair. A refurbished injection pump was hereby recommended to me. refurbished pump was installed. Timing was checked(timing mark, locking flywheel) and is OK , but engine still does not want to start. It seems that the engine is not getting the gasoil.
Another test was done. A wetted cloth with gasoline was put infront of the air inlet and then tried to start the engine. The result was that the engine started and run. The engine stop when removal of the gasoline wetted cloth. But the enigine dows not want to start on diesel. What can be the problem? Need desperate help from any one that has knowledge on this subject.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to 05LandRover
Default RE: Diesel freelander engine not starting

wow... a diesel freelander... cool!
Old 01-13-2007, 02:53 PM

Tags
1998, 2005, 98, belt, brokewhat, diesel, engine, freelander, injection, injectors, land, mark, pump, refurbished, rover, rovers, starting, timing