Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Feeling beaten...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 03:55 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feeling beaten...

Hi, Apologies, I have not been a member of a forum for many years. I have scoured the site for answers and couldnt find any so I hope you can be sympathetic for now at least.
I have a 2010 Freelander 2 XS TD4.e and over recent months it developed a noise that I can only describe as the sound of a chair being pulled across a floor, a cross between a wind/whirring noise and a scrape/screech. Almost a metal on metal sound. It first occurred when I was on full lock slowly going round a corner, then I noticed it when cornering, when changing gear when the car jerks slightly and then a longer wind sound when motorway driving and cruising at 70mph.
The car then developed a rattling noise upon switching the engine off, my mechanic replaced the part that was something to do with the acceleration but Ł200 lighter and the rattling box has stopped….. however on driving home from the garage the scrape noise returned. I had hoped they were connected but sadly not.
I had taken the car in to Landrover as the passenger door mechanism had failed and they also spotted an air intake issue. Their prices were extortionate and their senior mechanic could not hear any noise when he took it out, likewise my local mechanic has taken it out and not heard the noise as it tends to be sporadic, sods law when you need a pro to hear the issue, it goes quiet…..
Anyhow just wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions or advice, I cant sell the car with it seemingly having an undiagnosed problem, it doesnt affect performance and there are no lights coming up on the dash.
I do park it on my slanted drive and the handbrake has never been 100% even though Listers took it back to rectify a few issues when I bought it two years ago and apparently fixed the handbrake. I leave it in reverse with the handbrake on so as to stop it rolling into my house… I wonder if this may have a bearing on the irritating noise?
Lost for answers….

Thanks in advance

J