Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Freelander rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:19 PM
5th Gear
Location: Yorkshire U/K oh to hell with it, Beverley,,the place to be
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Freelander rear suspension

Hi to everyone, my first post on here.

I have a series 1 Freelander 1998 vintage. I'm trying to renew the bushes on the transverse links of the rear suspension. My Haynes manual has it that it is two seperate bolts securing the outer ends of the links to the hub carrier. I seem to have one long bolt going through both links,,,,,and is it tight. Would go as far to say it's well siezed.

Can anyone say if it is one or two bolts. Also, has anyone experience of trying to free this bolt (if it is only one).

Thanks for looking and any help.

StefanA

Old 03-12-2013, 09:14 AM
2nd Gear
Default Same fault

Hi StefanA,

I have a 99 Freelander with the exact same problem!

Did you get an answer, snapped a 15mm socket trying to free mine today.

Any help would be welcome.

Cheers

Chris849

Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Haynes? You can also have the whole RAVE shop manual for free download.

Here is text from the original Klingon of the RAVE manual, and a couple of pages of diagrams attached.

Trapezoidal Links
Three links make up the trapezoidal linkage. The fixed transverse link is fabricated and is not adjustable. The
adjustable transverse link comprises a tube, threaded at each end. A threaded fitting is screwed into each end of the
tube and locked with lock nuts to a prescribed distance between centres. Each fitting has a pressed bush installed.
The trailing link is fabricated and is not adjustable.
The fixed transverse link is bushed at each end and is located in the forward mounting of the rear subframe and the
forward attachment on the hub. The adjustable transverse link is also bushed at each end and is located in the
rearward mounting of the rear subframe and the rearward attachment on the hub. The fixed transverse link and the
adjustable transverse link are attached to the rear subframe with individual bolts and nuts and are attached to the hub
with a single bolt and nut with a washer at each end.
The trailing link is bushed at one end. The bushed end is located in a separate bracket which is bolted to the body.
The link is secured with a bolt which screws through the bracket into a captive nut in the body rail. The opposite end
is forked and locates over a bushed lug on the hub and secured with a bolt and nut.
The fixed transverse links, the adjustable transverse links and the trailing link have a significant role in the vehicle
handling. The bushes in each link control the longitudinal movement of the wheel due to braking, acceleration or
surface undulations.
The adjustable transverse link allows for the toe-in of the wheel to be adjusted if necessary. The fixed transverse link
is slightly shorter than the adjustable link which promotes a small amount of toe-in during cornering. This also
minimizes the effects of bump steer. The bush attaching the fixed transverse link to the rear subframe has a very soft
initial movement rate which becomes progressively harder as the rate of deflection increases. The three remaining
bushes in the fixed transverse and the adjustable transvserse links are of hard construction which give precise

handling and minimizes transient steer effects. The soft bush allows for small amounts of toe-in during cornering.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
free rear susp.pdf (407.2 KB, 128 views)
Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM
2nd Gear
Default Success

Down load the manual!

One long bolt goes through the fixed and adjustable links.

Mine was well seized, freed off after two nights soaking with WD40, a long lever bar and some brute force. Once it had cracked off I soaked it again over night before finally removing.

Tip-Apply ten minutes sanding with wet & dry to the bolt to remove some of the corrosion (bolt had not been out since new!) Once the bolt was free to rotate, a long punch did the rest.