Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Freelander Timing Belt Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 05:36 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freelander Timing Belt Change

My Freelander is approaching 73000 miles and I intend to have the timing belts changed. My concern is the Indianapolis Land Rover service department wants me to replace all the gears too. I find it hard to believe that a gear with only a nylon belt turning it would wear out before 150000 miles. What do you think? The total cost of the timing belt change is $2300.00. Otherwise, it has been a good car and it served us well when we lived in Alaska.

Got any advise on timing belt changes?

Next question: what is the name of the rigid plastic tubes under the noise surpressing cover on the engine?

Thanks

Pat

Old 12-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Freelander Timing Belt Change

They are PCV tubes. The camshaft and crankshaft sprockets should not need to be changed. I would replace the belt idler and tensioner pulleys, and the water pump as well since they are right there with the front belt. Also, since during the job there isn't much further to dig to get to it, I would also replace the thermostat housing and thermostat bypass pipe as well(they are a usual suspect for coolant leaks).

Old 12-20-2008, 06:06 AM
Overlanding

Thank you for the response.

What do the PVC tubes do? Do you know their part name or number?

Would a cracked PVC tube trigger a OBD code fault?

Thanks

Pat

Old 12-23-2008, 05:40 AM
Mudding

The pvc tubes (2 of them) will cause a lean mixture code on the upstream oxygen sensers. All rite guys shell out a few dollars and put away the duck tape and the Rite Stuff. just buy the part. I believe the Auto Parts Warehouse sells the belt for around $46.00 for each cambelt and $78.00 for one main drive belt. Dont be cheap by the waterpump too. scott

Old 12-24-2008, 05:19 AM
Overlanding

thank you very much for the input....that is exactly what I am going to do. My hope is to replace the timing belts and water pump (I already did the fuel pump) and get another 70000 miles of worry free driving.

Happy Holidays

Old 12-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Overlanding

I'm going to order a parts manual.

When you say to replace the belt idler pulley and the belt tension pulley...are you referring to the accessory belt?

Are the three belts that ensure timing (2) cam/rear belts and (1) front belt?

What does MAF stand for? And where is it located and what does it look like?

Are the PVC tubes called "breather tubes"?

What would cause my engine to run too rich?

Old 12-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Mudding

no the upper tensioner (actually idler pulley ) is an expensive and necessary thing when the pully has play or the plastic covers have scoring on them (usually the front outer will have melted plastic where the belt contacted them, also look for oil or grease around the bearing seal.
Yes on occasion they are called breather tubes (pvc= positive crankcase ventalation) one looks like a y the other looks like a j maybe aftermarket now but probably dealer only . MAF is Mass airflow senser check the production date number on the part, then call the dealer and see if the recall covers it. If you have a aftermarket K&N filter and been going nuts with the oil it will insulate the "hotwire " with the oil and through both banks into rich fault codes. (upstream sensers) scott
P.S check the internet for a RAVE disc (e-bay) some hackers have cracked the security codes on the disc and you will find it amazingly helpful with repair procedures and some parts...

Old 04-14-2009, 01:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Going thought the same issue

I too have gone to Tom Wood (2 years ago when I lived in Indy) and I too have the Freelander.... What their quoting isn't the Timing Belt... it's the 72,000 mile service. Which includes the ridiculously overpriced oil change and the filters being changed and them standing around saying that everything else looks good.....
With that being said, Tom Wood is the only dealership in Indiana unfortunatley and they aren't the best I'm sorry to say... I would recommend you have the Timing belt only replaced there (The timing belt for the Freelander is so difficult to replace that finding anyone who knows what there doing and has the equipment beside the dealership is so far an few between, I think like a handful of mechanics in the Nation know, pretty sad LR has the market on this vehicle) which should be $1,957.00 including tax.
Then for the other maintenance find a reputable mechanic that will work on European vehicles... it will save you time money and the headache of going back to the dealership repeatedly because they consistanly screw up.... (Sorry that was my expierence) It's been somewhat different back in Cali no issues to speak of.....
I hope this helps....