Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

P1471 Variable Inlet Manifold Motor Replacement

Old 06-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P1471 Variable Inlet Manifold Motor Replacement

Hello -

Have a few codes on the 04 Freelander... misfire on #4 and lean on bank #2, but I'd like to tackle the #1 variable inlet manifold motor first and see if I can clear that code...

I assume I'll have to replace this part:
Variable Intake Motor VIS Balance Valve: MKE100110L
And I'll need a new gasket for it: LWF000020L

First, am I correct that replacing this part will definitely clear the P1471?

And second, if so... can anyone tell me, start to finish HOW to replace?

Thanks... I'd like to give it a shot, rather than give the Rover dealer more $. Every time we bring the car in to the dealer, it's $1,000. No Rover repair expert will even touch the KV6, being what it is...

and getting rid of it is never going to be an option to us.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:26 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello! The VIS motors rarely actually need replaced! They all do fail though. There is a fairly easy fix for them. The plastic case is glued together and snaps. If you gently pry the ears and insert a couple small screw drivers, the casing will begin to open. I made a pusher tool to push on the actual electrical connection pins, as they are sealed into the housing. Push on the pins, and the unit opens. 99% of the failure is the limit switches. They are only held in by the solder joints on the legs. Re-solder them, and I usually apply JB Weld to the back of the switches to support them to the board. If you plan to replace it, tear your old one apart and see that it really is a fairly easy repair! I hope this helps!

The following users liked this post:
FRLNDR (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 08:25 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there, and thanks for your information! I've seen a few balance valve motor repair videos on youtube since I originally posted my question. (Many with this issue might find them helpful). I ordered a new Variable Intake Motor and gasket from the dealer, ($110). I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but man, it seems like a super easy 15 minute replacement. It is attached to the intake with four screws, near the firewall on the left hand side of the engine. Looks like I really don't even have to remove the engine cover if I choose not to. Thanks again for your help - I am going to open up the failed motor and see if I can repair it. If so, I'm going to hold on to it!