Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

P2098

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 11:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P2098

Hi all:
Have a SES P2098 and was lucky enough to grab a P0306 once with the P2098. I'm losing a bit of coolant internally... is this causing the misfire on #6? Any quick fix for now to pass emissions? Replace #6 plug? Can't see any exhaust issues under, and always use Mobil Super+. Ideas/suggestions appreciated...
Thanks -

Old 05-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Internal coolant loss is typically related to head gasket failure. If you've had the engine overheat in the past due to coolant loss from a ruptured hose or similar event, you may have lost the gasket to the extent it will burn coolant, but it does not always create a missfire.

I've not seen the code you describe, and it is not listed in the RAVE diagnostics for the KV6 engine, but that doesn't mean the Siemens ECU hasn't been programmed to record the code, which according to an online search is a post-cat lean condition. If the KV6 has a misfire caused by either lack of spark or compression, the ECU will lean out the injection on that cylinder as a means to reduce the amount of raw gas entering the cat.

That said, the two together suggest either a bad coil, bad plug, or loss of compression due to a burned valve or (less likely) total headgasket failure. I would do a compression check on 6. If you have 120 or more, look to the coil or spark plug.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for your input. The internal coolant loss only occurs when the weather is cold. Once summer arrives, the internal loss all but disappears. The service dept at the LR dealer said the lower intake gaskets are leaking and causing the internal loss. Is this possible? Does this sound legit?

Old 06-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Mudding

Yes it is possible. The cylinder head coolant path is somewhat unusual in that the fluid does not flow directly out of the head, but instead circulates with the fluid in the cylinder block. In order to remove any air trapped in the head, there is a bleed port at the rear of each, adjacent to the No. 5 and No. 6 intake runners. The lower intake manifolds (they attach the plastic plennum to the head) seal the port, but during cold weather when the metal shrinks, it will allow the intake ports to draw coolant from the bleed ports into No. 5 and No. 6. It seals when the engine warms up. Replacing the gaskets will solve the problem, and it is a fairly simple task requiring no special tools, and can be accomplished in a few hours.

I would replace the plugs to start with. Although it may look like a tough job, it really isn't all that difficult although you must do most of it by feel. I would also check the compression while you have the plugs out. Cheers.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Overlanding

Thanks again for your input. I'll have a go at the compression check, and replace the plug / coil pack as necessary. I'll also have the intake gasket replaced asap. We're always checking the coolant level, and making sure it never overheats. We just had LR do the timing belts, t-stat, and water pump as preventative maint on a 2004 with 59k. It's nice to be driving a vehicle that there are so few of on the road. Thanks again... peace.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Mudding

Good show! And if you ever question why you are keeping it, just take a new Ford Escape for a test drive.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Overlanding

Oh, we've driven a Avis Ford Escape rental. Our overall impression was that the EcoBoost engine we drove was severely underpowered, it feels like driving a Focus, and looks like every other cookie-cutter crossover.
True story which sums up why we love our 04 Freelander: Stopped for gas in New Jersey last year, where it is illegal to self pump. I got out to unlock the gas cap, and the attendant says: "This is a Land Rover?! I've never seen one like this before!" ( I've seen only 5 Freelanders since last summer). We're driving a vehicle which is quickly becoming extinct in the US.
And the issue with our Freelander continues: as the weather has grown much hotter in the past week, the coolant leak has, as predicted, all but stopped. Internally AND externally. The coolant level in the reservoir is almost steady and hot after use. We're still going ahead with the lower intake gasket replacement, new plugs, and the compression check though, as once the weather grows colder again, we know the leak would return.
Thanks again for your assistance - very much appreciated - peace!