Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Transmission Won't Go Into Gear, Won't Move at All

Old 04-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm sure there are better ways, and I don't know how you have the truck supported, but personally, I get the inner and outer splines engaged, and use the knuckle as some sort of a slide hammer, and holding the rotor, slam it in a few times. I wouldn't recommend a hammer on the axle, as damage to both the threads, and the CVs can occur. But it will go, just be patient, and once the patience runs out, it usually goes in the next time.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:03 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roverguy7
I'm sure there are better ways, and I don't know how you have the truck supported, but personally, I get the inner and outer splines engaged, and use the knuckle as some sort of a slide hammer, and holding the rotor, slam it in a few times. I wouldn't recommend a hammer on the axle, as damage to both the threads, and the CVs can occur. But it will go, just be patient, and once the patience runs out, it usually goes in the next time.
I just have it supported with a jack stand and will just give it a try again this afternoon using the rotor technique...

Old 04-15-2013, 01:49 PM
4wd Low

I ended up removing the shock assembly and the axle slid right in, much easier.

Got the new axle in and although the car now engages and starts to move forward and backwards it is binding massively! Sounds like there are rocks in the IRD, not good! I'm assuming something let loose or gears have broken as I can't even drive a few feet without it binding up and surging, popping and just making a ton of bad noises.

Sounds like the next step is to pull the IRD and inspect it? It absolutely blows my mind that these things have so many drive train issues, especially at 60K miles! Seems crazy!

Old 04-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

IRD failure is not that common. Any chance the CV separated while you were fighting it to go in?

Old 04-15-2013, 02:47 PM
4wd Low

IRD failure is not that common. Any chance the CV separated while you were fighting it to go in?
No, the CV is fully engaged, didn't really fight it much. It really sounds like a "crunching" noise coming from the IRD area. Guess I could try lifting the front end and putting it into neutral and see if I can spin the front tires?