Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

VCU Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VCU Replacement

Hi all!

I purchased my first freelander yesterday and have a feeling the VCU might need replaced.

I didn't really notice anything on the test drive but have since been reading on the net that a dragging feeling when driving in full lock can be a sign that its on its way out.

I have seen that bell engineering can offer a reconditioned one for £200, plus £30 for bearings. My question is how easy is it to remove and replace the VCU? I cant say that I am all that mechanically minded, although keen to learn!

Would you say this is a job a novice can do, are there any special tools required?

Also I notice that apparently problems with a VCU can cause problems with the IRD, how do I know if this has happened? There are no obvious noises of anything that I can hear. To be honest the car seems to drive well, its only low speed at full lock there is any signs of problems. Might just be being paranoid!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am on the Notts, Leics, Derby borders so if anyone knows a workshop they can recommend in the area please let me know.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You would be well prepared if you download a copy of the RAVE (shop manual) and review the pages on drive shafts. The step by step process is explained, they take off both propeller shafts. By looking it over, you can be the judge of if you have the safe work space and skills to handle it. Would be easier with a lift, perhaps workable with both tyres up on a ramp on same side. But as the local poster child for the Michelin man, no way I could fit under there as it sits on flat ground.