General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2000 LR Discovery II overheating and oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 LR Discovery II overheating and oil

I've searched thoroughly through this site to try and determine what my problem is. I have put a significant amount of coolant into the vehicle. 1 Large jug of antifreeze and equal amount of water. Wife was driving it less than a mile from the house. Parked, started it back up and when she pulled to a stop sign it died. After 5 minutes it started back up. Coolant light is on. Pointer is below cold mark. Ticks back and forth. Oil light came on. Sport and Manual lights flashing simultaneously, as well as the D light on shift. She pulled it home and turned it off. I put about 1qt or little more of water in it. Turned it on and the Sport and Manual lights stopped. Turned it off. Waited til today. Checked the oil and it is like chocolate milk. Ugly stuff. There was a suction when I pulled dipstick out of it. Put it back in pulled out again and it was same way. Three days ago when I check it the oil it was black but not thick like it is now. Of course the engine was still warm then. I was going to put some oil in it today. Top off coolant if it needed it and drive it around the block to see what it does. Then take it in for a look tomorrow. Now, I am concerned after looking at the oil.

Anything to look at or check? Should I put some fresh oil in it and just take it into the shoP? Should I do nothing and have it towed? It started leaking oil about two months ago. As I have read on here that is the norm to a degree. It was low on coolant at that time so I put a large jug in and let it go. That's when oil leak started. Three weeks ago the engine didn't want to start and then I put 1 large jug of antifreeze in it and it was fine. I believe I obviously have a leak in the coolant and should have a pressure check done. But why is the oil chocolate milk color. It was changed two months ago.

I really just want to get this thing fixed and either traded in, which I won't get anything for. Or sold privately which I am having trouble doing here in KY.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: 2000 LR Discovery II overheating and oil

Also, I took off the oil cap and there is some wierd yellow slime stuff near the top? What's up with that? Let me guess. This is the equivalent of blood coming outta your eyes.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: wadematt

Also, I took off the oil cap and there is some wierd yellow slime stuff near the top? What's up with that? Let me guess. This is the equivalent of blood coming outta your eyes.
Your oil is so old or water-logged, it emulsified. That makes it look like slimy pudding and it will be as effective.

Then your engine got so hot, it blew out much of the coolant or the gasket. The temperature gausge looks like it is cycling as the sender (at the top of the egnine) is alternately uncovered and then covered as the remaining coolant travels through the engine. You will have no cabin heat as the heater (also at the top of the engine) is empty of coolant.

If you add oil, it won't help much, it will emulsify quickly too and make more pudding...and at the moment, you are running without much oil or coolant. My suggestion is to leave it for a few days and then flush the engine a few times and fit with a new filter and new oil.

I don't see that often.

James

Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Overlanding

Ok, so what are our thoughts on the gasket or block being cracked? No smoking. No steam. When I added coolant the other day the big hose started jerking. Thinking that is not good. How do I flush the system? Drain it put oil or ATF in and repeat?

Old 04-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You have a blown head gasket. I would suggest you stop driving it ASAP, I mean no driving till you are ready to have it repaired.
I would also suggest you call me and I'll point you in a couple of directions.
303-862-7680
Colorado before 8 pm

Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Overlanding

Mike,

I'm eastern time and I don't know if it is too late tonight. I have had the car parked since saturday. Everything I have read says I'm looking at $2500 to get this fixed at the dealership. To be honest I am upside down, or I should say my wife, on this car and trying to figure out how to simultaneously get this fixed and get rid of this thing.

Anyhow, I don't know if it is too late to call tonight or if you would rather just respond here.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Find a small shop, the going number, using all Rover replacement parts is between $1400 and $1600 depending on whether you have secondary air.
Mike

Old 04-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Overlanding

Secondary air? My father in law works on cars quite a bit. Is this something that could be done in house or is this a must do repair shop item?

Old 04-15-2008, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

From what Ive seen it is caused from a blown out timing cover gasket. The gasket blows out
internally around the coolant port and the coolant gets into the oil. A blown headgasket wont cause internal coolant leaks on a land rover engine.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Administrator

With a little/lot of direction he could do it and save you about $1200 in labor.

Quick Reply: 2000 LR Discovery II overheating and oil