General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Disco II transmission ECU

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Disco II transmission ECU

Is there a fuse or circuit breaker for the transmission ecu for an 01 Disco II? If the transmission is not shifting in any gear regardless of RPM, could this be due to the ECU?

Other things to check?

thx

Old 11-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Send me your tele number so I can call you, what you have is not a tranny issue, you have blown a diff or axle.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Default transmission ecu

Mike,

thanks for the response. I saw your response and immediately had to go back to my posting to re-read it.

I described my problem incorrectly from a technical standpoint. What I meant to say was that the vehicle will operate just fine in either 1st gear or reverse. No problem at all, but when you accelerate and expect a shift change, it doesn't take place and the engine reaches as high as 3000rpm before I slow it back down. It simply won't make the change any longer.

This happened instantly after a small radiator hose attached to a cannister on the right side of the radiator suddenly popped off and spewed anti-freeze all under the hood. Once I replaced the hose and clamp and left the parking lot, the transmission began shifting erratically but I made it home. Now when I try it, it won't shift out of 1st gear. Or at least not up to 3000 rpm anyway.

I was almost certain that the anti-freeze had shorted something out or blew a fuse to the transmission ECU if such a fuse exists.

my number is 850 284-2300 if you still wish to contact me. I tried reading up on the ecu and if I had a way to test it, I'd almost bet something happened to it as a result of the radiator incident.

Russell

Old 11-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Default ECU transmission issue RESOLVED

Mike,

Okay, Problem solved. It was a 20amp fuse located in the fuse box, 4th from the front. I don't know what that circuit represents, but I just started examining all the fuses and found that one was blown. I took a 20amp from the very rear of the box and put it in place of the blown fuse.

Took if for a ride and the transmission shifts perfectly. NO MORE PROBLEM. I cannot believe that the transmission operation is dependent upon a single 20amp fuse!!!!!!

What a vehicle. Now my only issue is trying to determine why that 1-1/4" hose to that cannister would suddenly develop enough pressure to blow it clean off without bursting it.

anyway, it's driveable. That's the important thing.

thanks again for your response.