General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2006 LR3 HSE - Stereo not working - Phone Mode only

Old 06-04-2009, 07:52 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 LR3 HSE - Stereo not working - Phone Mode only

Left the damn sunroof completely open during a downpoor a week ago. Had inches of water on the floorboard. Pried up the carpet and soaked water out of the wiring channel, then left it out in the sun to dry out. Saved the carpet, but the stereo isn't working. Actually, none of the front panel ***** do anything...menu, clock, nothing. I can use my bluetooth to use my phone via the radio, that works fine. I can also use voice activation to turn on the satellite radio and I can hear the sounds, but just barely. The sterio dial only reads "Phone Mode". Please say it's just a cheap fuse.......

Old 06-04-2009, 09:59 AM
4wd Low

Heh... my wife did the same thing to our 06 LR3 a couple weeks ago and the same thing happened. Bluetooth worked, GPS worked but the radio did not. After it dried out the radio started working again.

Hope the same works for you!

Old 03-10-2014, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

Greetings. Resurrecting an old post I know but I wanted to share how I fixed my Land Rover radio being Stuck In Phone Mode in hopes that someone searching for a solution like I did may find it in the future and it may help them. My scenario popped up in my 2006 LR3 after a rain revealed clogged sunroof drains and water got inside on the dash and floor. I tried everything I found on forums like battery resets, fuse pulling, button pushing and the like to no avail. Other symptoms I saw were on a cold power up the radio would play for a half second then go into Phone Mode. Also, if I turned the volume **** all the way up I could very faintly hear the radio. One thing that struck me as odd in all of it was the fact that I had no phone capability as part of my installation.

In reading on the subject I found a few interesting things. Primarily was the fact that we have a fiber optic (MOST) system connecting not only the radio and amp but any installed modules and nav, as well as it was all seemingly centered in the radio head unit. Then I found that the phone capability was a separate module, which again I didn't have.
All of that, especially my not having the phone module installed got me thinking that the head unit got oddly stuck by the water into a waiting for response state for a module that simply could never respond because it wasn't there. The trick was just how to get the head unit to stop looking for a response from that unit.
Hoping the fiber optic network was a bus network or one that at the very least prioritized something before the phone module here's what I did and it worked...

Key in Off position. Pulled center dash cover, unscrewed radio, and slid it out. Disconnected the fiber optic/MOST connector only. Turned key to the On position.

It worked! The system looks to have prioritized not seeing any network on the fiber optics at all and went searching for anything seemingly kicking it out off the search for the Phone Module. There was no sound on that first Power On as the MOST network feeds the signal to the amp but on powering off, replugging the MOST connector, and power back on all was well. It's been up and running no issues ever since.

Cheers--

Old 11-15-2015, 08:34 AM
4wd Low
Default Phone mode

I'm dealing with the same issue now so wondering if any solution was found. I just had to have my entire fuse box replaced because one relay fried the board but radio still stuck in phone mode. At least it's running because it wouldn't even start so that was the first thing to fix. Now the radio and key fob are next. Replaced the battery, brake light switch, and finally fuse box and harness to get it running.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

I have the same problem. I bought mine used and after driving it for a few weeks the radio came back. Then I left the key in overnight and killed the battery. Charged the battery and it was fine but the radio went back to Phone Mode. Again, after some driving, it came back on. My daughter left the dome light on, got in to a slow turnover but it started. Lost the radio again and since bought a new battery. Now no radio, no key fob and no sunroof! I saw another thread about the fuse for the sunroof so I'm going to check on that. Is there something else related to the radio and key fobs?

Old 04-06-2017, 12:46 AM
1st Gear
Cool

Originally Posted by Frazierr
Left the damn sunroof completely open during a downpoor a week ago. Had inches of water on the floorboard. Pried up the carpet and soaked water out of the wiring channel, then left it out in the sun to dry out. Saved the carpet, but the stereo isn't working. Actually, none of the front panel ***** do anything...menu, clock, nothing. I can use my bluetooth to use my phone via the radio, that works fine. I can also use voice activation to turn on the satellite radio and I can hear the sounds, but just barely. The sterio dial only reads "Phone Mode". Please say it's just a cheap fuse.......
Yes Sir, We are also facing such this problem, our vehicle is also going to phone mode automatically.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:27 AM
2nd Gear

mine does tis whenever I accidentally drain the battery. Most times it comes back all by itself after a short time but this time it has gone on for several weeks. Any clues what causes this