General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'97 D1 just bought, just a copule of issues...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '97 D1 just bought, just a copule of issues...

So the key's sticky, no biggie, the instrument cluster cover is lose, looks like someone did some work and didn't put the screws back in. Do I have to take the steering wheel cover off to get to the location or anyone know any good tricks?

Lastly, I just filled it up full, drove home, parked in my driveway and noticed fuel leaking from the top of the tank. Now my driveway is slightly angled so, is this from an overflow hose or do I have an issue? I did park it on the level street and the leak stopped. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Define sticky key.
Lower the steering wheel as far as it will go, you will see the 2 screws, if they fell out or are lost you need to sheet metal screws.
Open the cargo door, remove the trim piece and roll up the carpet.
There is a access hatch with 6 or 8 screws, remove the screws and you will see the top of the gas tank.
There was a recall of the gas tanks, odds are it has already been replaced but if you call a dealer with the VIN# they can tell you for sure.
Otherwise look for the fuel leak, most likely it is the fuel pump retaining ring being loose or the gasket is missing.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
Define sticky key.
Lower the steering wheel as far as it will go, you will see the 2 screws, if they fell out or are lost you need to sheet metal screws.
Open the cargo door, remove the trim piece and roll up the carpet.
There is a access hatch with 6 or 8 screws, remove the screws and you will see the top of the gas tank.
There was a recall of the gas tanks, odds are it has already been replaced but if you call a dealer with the VIN# they can tell you for sure.
Otherwise look for the fuel leak, most likely it is the fuel pump retaining ring being loose or the gasket is missing.
The "sticky key" issue, the ignition assembly seems to be wearing out, takes a little coaxing to get the key in the starter position or when shutting down, removing it...but thanks for the other info, I'll get on that.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Team Owner

Pop the trim piece off of the shift **** for the transmission.
Tighten the nut in there and see if your sticky key issue remains.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Winching

Pop the trim piece off of the shift **** for the transmission.
Tighten the nut in there and see if your sticky key issue remains.
HUH? Pop the trim piece off the tranny shifter to resolve the sticky key/ignition issue?

Ok moving on to a different issue, getting a high speed wobble out of the front end at hwy speeds...thinking it's the front drive shaft. Can anyone back me up on this? Also I was quoted about 200 to have it rebuilt, anyone have that done successfully?

Old 04-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by adigerol77
HUH? Pop the trim piece off the tranny shifter to resolve the sticky key/ignition issue?
Yes.
Remove the trim piece and tighten the bolt ontop of the shift **** to fix the sticky key.
The key cannot be removed/inserted if the truck is not all the way in park.
The shift linkage comes loose over time and the trans will not be all the way in park thus the key will be very difficult to remove or may not come out at all.
Try it or dont, thats on you.

As for the "death wobble", its not your drive shaft, but then dont listen to someone who knows more about these trucks than you do, go ahead and have the front driveshaft rebuilt, $200 is expensive for that, but then what do I know?

Old 04-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Winching

Yes.
Remove the trim piece and tighten the bolt ontop of the shift **** to fix the sticky key.
The key cannot be removed/inserted if the truck is not all the way in park.
The shift linkage comes loose over time and the trans will not be all the way in park thus the key will be very difficult to remove or may not come out at all.
Try it or dont, thats on you.

As for the "death wobble", its not your drive shaft, but then dont listen to someone who knows more about these trucks than you do, go ahead and have the front driveshaft rebuilt, $200 is expensive for that, but then what do I know?
Wow Spike, I appreciate the help but not the attitude, especially for a mod. You've not commented on the vibration till now and frankly, that's what it is, vibration.

As for the ignition, it's the ignition, I can't plunge the key all the way in, have to be gentle with it but it works. Again, just bought this D1, not my first RR BTW so I'm figuring out the gremlins as I go.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Team Owner

In the tech section on the DI page there is a write up on how to repair the ignition switch, the tumblers get worn.
The easiest and first thing to try is the nut in the gear shift.
Thats why I said to try that first.