General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

air suspension requires a special lift?

Old 02-15-2005, 01:45 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air suspension requires a special lift?

I was told by a local garage that that they can't work on any Rover with an air suspension system because it requires a special lift system to raise the car without damaging the rubber air shocks. Is this true?

Old 02-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Winching
Default RE: air suspension requires a special lift?

Depends, what model are you refering to ?

Old 02-16-2005, 03:54 AM
Rock Crawling

It is not something I have come across before, more likely they have a blanket ban on them simply as they do not have the equipment to do repairs on the suspension system if something does go wrong.

To put it simply, you are not given special tools to lift the car for changing a spare wheel, so what special equipment do they require?

The only thought that comes to mind is that you need a ramp system which supports the wheels, rather than the chassis mount spider type of lift. Thus is you have a normal type ramp, it would need to have the extra bolt on bits to be able to support the chassis locally when you remove one wheel.

If the Rangie has live axles, then they could still use a spider lift if they strap the alxes to the chassis before lifting, thus the weight is supported rather than the air bags.

Old 02-17-2005, 03:16 AM
4wd Low

I was refering to any of the Land Rovers with an "active" suspension system, except the newest Range Rovers with an independent front suspension (way out of my budget). Late model classic Range Rovers and P38A, and the series II Disco are what I'm curious about.

Thanks.

Old 02-17-2005, 04:01 AM
Rock Crawling

As mentioned, not really heard of this before on the Classic versions of the range rover or disco. I suspect the garage got caught out by an owner and eneded up having to pay for new air suspension system to one. This is not cheap, so they now just tell people, oh, you need to have a special lift.

The only thing I can think of is that if you do not support the wheels, the weight over time of them hanging down would stretch the air bags, but even this would be fairly extreme, as the vehicle is designed for off road use, and for the axles to twist and turn in all directions.

I will ask around, and see if I can find out anything.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Winching

Oops, Brian did say air susp systems in the first post[&o] Using A conventional 4 arm lift will usually damage the air bags on Classic, P38A, and D2 w/rear SLS. Unloading the suspension can cause the bags to pop off the seats especially on older bags.

It is also very unsafe to lift Classic, D1, and D2 on A 4 post lift. They can easily fall off because of the irregular frame. Many shops have an alignment rack which is A drive on type. These racks will work fine for all service work on EAS ( electronic air suspension) Rover's.

Old 02-18-2005, 04:09 AM
Rock Crawling

All garages in the UK that carry out the MoT inspections have to use the drive on type, so maybe that is why you do not hear of any garages refusing air suspension landies, as 90% of garages have at least one drive on type lift. Have to say that garages here in the UK that tend to us the four arm or spider lift, tend to be in small back street workshops, where even if they put the landie on it, by the time they jack it up to working high it would be sticking up out of the roof of the building..

In fact I would say that is our most common reason for not accepting a landie by a garage is lack of headroom..