General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Battery Advice & Dual Battery Systems Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 04:40 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Advice & Dual Battery Systems Advice

Hey again all....

Just wanted to put it out there, that if anyone at all needs advice on any form of battery, maintenance, installation of dual battery systems, alternator issues etc... feel free to contact me..

I work at Battery World in australia, and have a long background in batteries and installation of different systems.

So feel free to contact me about any problems, issues or concerns..... or just a general question, and i will get back to you as soon as i can

Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Alternators here in the US that are "remanufactured" by large operations which sell thru the national chains of parts stores are famous for lasting a very short time in in a Rover. Sometimes just a week or two. Is that the same down under?

Old 04-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Drifting

I am thinkingof adding a winch and therefor a double battery setup. what way do you think is the best install for this. would like the winch to be removable from front to rear, so I will need some formof power connection front and rear

Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Ccs

Originally Posted by nateandnikki
Hey again all....

Just wanted to put it out there, that if anyone at all needs advice on any form of battery, maintenance, installation of dual battery systems, alternator issues etc... feel free to contact me..

I work at Battery World in australia, and have a long background in batteries and installation of different systems.

So feel free to contact me about any problems, issues or concerns..... or just a general question, and i will get back to you as soon as i can
Hi nateandniki,
I am from Malaysia and I have a Landrover Discovery 2 TD5. First, I have to admit that mechanically incompetent.
Recently I was advised by the local distributor for LR to replace the gear box switch. Both the Manual and Sports gear warning lights lighted up and the gear disengage with the engine still running. Turning off the engine and restarting will solve the problem for a while before the warning lights lighted up again and the whole process is repeated. Despite replacing the gear box switch. the problem persisted. I am now told that the CCS of the battery is causing the gear box switch to malfunction.
The battery was replace 6 months ago and according to the battery supplier, (1) the battery is fine, (2) a CCS of 300 is more then sufficient for our climate and (3) CCS should not be a factor for the gear box switch malfunction.
Can I have your advise on this matter.
1) Is the distributor correct to say that the CCS can affect the operation of the gear box switch. If so, in what way?
2) What would be the correct CCS for our climate here and in particular for LRD2 TD5.

Thanks and regards,
Alau

Old 04-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I'd be interested in seeing a generalized install for a dual battery set up. Optima batteries seem to be a big trend here. Are they worth the added cost?

Old 04-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If the M&S lights come on, and no check engine light, that indicates transmission computer detected voltage at 9 volts or less. Need new or very good condition battery, plus every major wire connection (battery leads, ground points to frame, bolted connections in nderhood fuse box) should be clean and tight. Can be wires at the transmission computer, ground spot for that, as well.

For some dual battery set ups see https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...t=dual+battery

The RAVE spec for battery is 110 amp hour for the TD5 engine, and just 72 amp hour for the V8 petrol. Amp hour is NOT the same as CCA (cold cranking amps). Biggest that will fit in there that you can afford. Extra amps are good (until you get to a point where your charging equipment can't bring them back up in a reasonable time), but less amps means battery will fail sooner when you have it under load. So a TD5 will need a bigger battery than a petrol model. Here in the US it is easy to get 800 CCA and larger rated batteries.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-13-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
I'd be interested in seeing a generalized install for a dual battery set up. Optima batteries seem to be a big trend here. Are they worth the added cost?
I have run dual Yellow Tops for year and they work with with a large amp drawing winch. My last pair lasted 7 years and I have replaced them again with the same battery.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:38 AM
AEM
1st Gear

Is anyone able to help with an issue I have with a 2013 Freelander 2? I have a removable second battery with its own regulator. In my previous vehicles I plugged the second battery into a cable connect to the vehicle's main battery to pick up the charge from the alternator which then charged the second battery. Very simple. However, I cannot do that with the new Freelander because there is only 12.6 volts at the vehicle's battery because apparently the alternator only engages when it needs to or the vehicle is slowing down. This is the "regenerative" recharging system. Any ideas how I can get to the 13-14 volts needed to charge the second battery. Nateandnikki I am in Ballina NSW.