General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Continuous horn sounding!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 04:27 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Continuous horn sounding!

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and was looking for a bit of advice. We have a Discovery 2.5 TDS ES year '53 and for some unknown reason at 1 am this morning the horn started sounding but not in the way it would if the alarm was going off, it was continuous and neither buttons on the fob would silence it! My husband ran outside (in his boxers... tee he) and started the engine but that wouldn't stop it either. It went on for 5 minutes then stopped. My other half then locked the car with the key hoping that this would dissable the alarm (if hat is what it was). He got half way up the stairs and the same thing happened again, this went on (much to our children and neighbours disgust) again even when we gave up and left the car umlocked and unalarmed. As a last resort he disconnected the battery which finally stopped it. I am not sure if it could be connected but a couple of days ago the nearside rear door stopped working on the central locking meaning you had to open it from the inside each time...it is so strange as when the horn was sounding there were no lights flashing inside or outside of the car... any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-25-2009, 04:31 AM
2nd Gear

Sorry??

Old 10-11-2009, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

what a mischievous car!

Old 10-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Three Wheeling

Very interesting wish I could help very curious on what it could be ?

Old 10-30-2011, 05:13 PM
6th Gear

This happened to me today while my truck was getting detailed. How did you ever fix this?

Old 10-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by phillman98
This happened to me today while my truck was getting detailed. How did you ever fix this?
It is the horn buttons one the horn pad, they go bad short out and the horn sounds all the time.
Unplug the horn until you can fix it.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:33 PM
6th Gear

Brilliant!! Thanks! I tried removing the fuse to the horn and the horn relay but neither worked. Is there a connector near the horn that I can just disconnect? I would check but the truck is still at the detail center.

Also, my washer fluid is stuck on as well. Any ideas on that one?

Old 10-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Open the hood, find the horn and unplug it.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You must have found the wrong relay. Horns have a connector on each, but you'll have to remove grille to reach it, and the two pieces of painted front trim under head lights. F4 in the underhood fuse box runs them, but also a lot of other things, like turn signals.

F 16 in under dash fuse box runs the washer pump, and other stuff. Washer pump on could be bad stalk switch (off, slow, fast, etc.) for wipers. There is a plug (C170) on the washer fluid resivoir.

See attached -

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
horn.pdf (844.0 KB, 292 views)
File Type: pdf
wash pump.pdf (688.6 KB, 196 views)
Old 10-30-2011, 08:05 PM
6th Gear
Default computer problem?

Thanks for your replies and actually I hope you are correct. My fear is that since these happened at the same time AND it happened when my car was being detailed it could be a WET computer board

A friend of mine had this happen to him as well... he says, "the detailer got a large amount of water under the passenger seat which somehow got into the main computer board. You may want to open up the board and dry it and look for corrosion. I also cut the wire to the horn which I believe was only for the alarm system but it sounds like this is the other horn. I would make sure the detailer is aware of the large amounts of electrical diagnostics which will most likely be needed to resolve the problems."

again i hope my computer isn't wet... that would be one expensive detail!
((

Quick Reply: Continuous horn sounding!