General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New to Forum!! common problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:03 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum!! common problems?

Hey all! I'm new to this forum and have been scouring for hours trying to piece together threads that envelope all of the problems i am experiencing. 4 hours down the drain to no avail! Please excuse me if these are already discussed issues, i would appreciate any help even being redirected to a current post.

With that being said, I have a 94 disco with the 3.9 V8, everyhting seems original, 124000 on the ticker. I have done some very basic things to keep it running:

new calipers, tires
new starter
new plugs and wires

I have had this rig for over a year now and have always experienced the same problems.

Under load ( going up hill with only 1 person and a full tank of gas ), it doesn't want to accelerate past 35, even if i hit a hill doing 60, it loses all power and acceleration. I know these things aren't geared necessarliy for acceleration but still....

It has a very constant problem starting. Even with a new starter/seloniod unit, it taknes it maybe 5-6 times of starting then sputtering out to get it to run. Additionally, sporadically it will have a rough idle and die when at a stop in drive. It has had a cherry bomb on it since i purchased it, the other day it needed to be re-secured and i noticed a slight improvement in the operation of the vehicle. Is it possible that my exhaust is blocked, could that be a reason of poor acceleration? I would appreciate any and all advice, even if it's "hey newbie this has been discussed at length before!"

Old 06-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. Check fuel pressure at test valve (looks like tire valve) on the fuel rail. Low fuel pressure won't allow full power. Looking for 32-34 PSI. Fuel filter just forward of rear wheel arch.

2. IMHO if exhaust were restricted you would have other problems also.

3. Check timing?

4. Amplifier for the distributor?

5. Vacuum leak

6. Idle air control valve needs cleaning (IACV) - don't move the end of it, just spray clean with carb cleaner.

7. Does transmission kickdown work? Does moving it into next lower gear help? If it won't accelerate past 35, how did you get to sixty?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Remove the "muffler" and drive it, any change?

My money is on the ignition timing being off and your vacuum advance not working.
If it were a clogged exhaust it would have no power anytime you tried to accelerate as the exhaust built up to much back pressure in the engine.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:02 PM
2nd Gear

savannah buzz; i think there may be an issue with the throttle kickdown cable, i can accelerate to 65 on flat ground but when it reaches 65 if i give it gas it feels like the engine boggs down. This issue is mainly going up hils. I live on the Central Oregon Coast and we have lots of steep grades or passes.

Spike 555, i was hoping for a reply from you.... almost every post i read you have input a vast ammount of knowledge, so i thank you for assisting me. My exhaust is basically a cherry bomb attached to the cats, should i remove it all the way to the manifold?

thanks again

Old 06-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No, just remove the cherry bomb and see what happens.
If you remove the exhaust completely it will run like total crap.
I'm not sure that is your problem, but it is a free place to start.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:07 PM
7th Gear

I have the same problem as tiree920, did he ever get an answer?

Chief