General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Crank but no start 2000 D2

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:16 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank but no start 2000 D2

new cps, have fuel pressure, checked all fuses related to starting, inertia switch is good, no spark

I checked the old and new cps with a meter and both have output but i was hopeful...alas...fail.
I have good fuel pressure at the schrader valve so my fuel pump runs. I checked all related fuses in both fuse boxes and they are good. I get no reading on the tack while cranking. Yes the spacers are on correctly, yes the cps is plugged in. Had all the usual misfire codes and then it just wouldn't start after a 30 minute drive. Any good help would be appreciated.
I have searched the forums very well and done I think everything I can do with a multimeter.

Last edited by marcusddennis@gmail.com; 02-05-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:54 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

No tachometer reading would be a failed ckps, but it would need to be checked while cranking with a scanner not the dash tachometer.

i
Originally Posted by marcusddennis@gmail.com
new cps, have fuel pressure, checked all fuses related to starting, inertia switch is good, no spark

I checked the old and new cps with a meter and both have output but i was hopeful...alas...fail.
I have good fuel pressure at the schrader valve so my fuel pump runs. I checked all related fuses in both fuse boxes and they are good. I get no reading on the tack while cranking. Yes the spacers are on correctly, yes the cps is plugged in. Had all the usual misfire codes and then it just wouldn't start after a 30 minute drive. Any good help would be appreciated.
I have searched the forums very well and done I think everything I can do with a multimeter.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:01 PM
3rd Gear

Did that...no RPM...any other ideas why the new cps doesn't read. Vehicle was running...started missing, shut it off to pull codes then poof...no sparky.
I hooked up my DVOM on the black/yellow wire and companion shield and get 1.6vdc and about .5vac when cranking. Both go away with switch off but the DC voltage stays there for a few seconds.
Rank out all 3 wires from the CKP plug to the ECM and they all check good. I am at a loss.

I now have RPM via OBD tool showing 154-160 while cranking. Not sure what changed but at least there is that much. I still have no spark though. Checked under dash fuses 14 & 24 and have 12.5 vdc on both sides. What am I missing?

Last edited by marcusddennis@gmail.com; 02-18-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard of the interior fuse boxes going bad and causing this sort of problem... Not sure if that's helpful or not. Also check for voltage drop at the coil while cranking. I believe that is a sign of a bad IDM.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:26 PM
3rd Gear

new coil packs no help...+12v stays at 12.8 when negative side of meter is hooked to the battery, when on the switched wires from the ECU my meter drops to about 10v which I would guess is due to the negative being switched on and off so fast my meter can barely see it.