General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Differential Lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Differential Lock

I'm going on a ride this week end and I may need to lock my dif. I know it can be done, but I don't know how. My dealer told me that you could put the t-case in low and put the shifter to one side or the other from low range and engage dif lock that way, but mine doesn't seem to work that way. If anybody knows how, please let me know. I'mleaving tomorrow morning and it may keep me from getting stuck.It's a '99 DII. Thanks

Old 03-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Differential Lock

Yes you can lock a 99 D2's t/case. What sort of trail are you going on and have you ever owned a 4X4 before, done much wheeling?
Since it is already Saturday, you have probably already left but when you get back we can talk.
Mike

Old 03-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Rock Crawling

No, i haven't left yet. and yes i've owned a few 4x4's and have done a lot of off roading. I live in FL, so thereare not many rocks or hills, just a bunch of swamps and mud. The reason i need the dif lock is because last week i was ata fishing spot and got cross rutted, two tires had all of the weight on them and the trac control took a little too long to engage the others, even when it did it seemed like they didn't pull as well as they should have.I was on a very easy trail, and it worried me that my trac control didn't work as quickly as i would have liked and it almost got me stuck.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Rock Crawling

I will be leaving here shortly, so if i'm not still online when you get this message, and you have the time please call me @321-508-6154.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Mike, I just got back from my ride.I got the CDL to lock. But I may have misunderstood exactly what the CDL is supposed to do. I assumed that it engaged some sort of posi traction in the front and rear-ends (hence, the reason a lot of rock crawling guys do it.) I ended up stuck with my driver front and passenger rear on hard ground and my passenger front and driver rear buried and free spinning. I guess a little more education is wanted on my part. My goal is to have some sort of locker or posi traction, so this won't happen again. Thanks Jim

Old 03-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Disco's don't come from the factory with either a front or rear locking diff, in your case just a locking t/case that splits the power equally to both the front and rear axles. If while you were stuck, and you had turned off the traction control, your would just sit there a spin 2 wheels with out the traction being shifted to the opposite wheel, if the t/c was on it should have moved the power from one side to the other on either axle as long as you were hold a steady throttle.
If you get a chance, lets talk sometime and answer your concerns.
Mike

Old 03-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Rock Crawling

I would definately like to talk, and the trac control was off. I was going to unlock the t-case but the truck was in a position where that wouldn't have been so easy. I thought that if i turned the tc on that it would apply even pressure to the free spinning wheels and make the others pull. I assumed that these didn't have an open dif. If you would e-mail me a better time to talk, i'll gladly give you a call (so you don't have to pay for the call), otherwise you can call me anytime. I work for myself,so i can take a call anytime. Thanks again, Jim.