General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dim Headlights on 2001 DISCO

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dim Headlights on 2001 DISCO

Tonight, I noticed that my headlights were dim. Actually, I think they are out and there is a small bulb on the sidemarkers making them look dim. When I turn on the hi-beams, nothing happens. When I turn on the front foglamps, nothing. I checked all of the fuses and all seem to be OK. The issue is on both sides and the bulbs are about a year old.

Any thoughts? Where should I start?

OS

PS: I have a PM in disco mike since he has helped me in the past. I am hoping that if this is posted others can learn from it. I did do a search and found a similar post but there was no resolution posted.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Dim Headlights on 2001 DISCO

you need to checksomething.do the high beams work if you flash them, not all the way on? if so youre most likely looking at a bad switch, could also be wiring but those switches fail sometimes. if they do not work, you need to check one of your fuses under the hood, not a normal fuse, looks like a box and has a clear top, called a j-case fusable link. sometimes they can be hard to see if its blown, but check #10, you can swap it with another if youre not sure. and unfortunitly there is also the chance that you need a new fuse box., oh yeah, just make sure the bulbs are good too

[/align]

Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dim Headlights on 2001 DISCO

Thanks for the help. When I flash the high beams, I get nothing. When I press the button for the front fog lights, nothing. Not even the light orange LED lights up on the button. The interior lights and rear and side lights are all good. It is just the head lamps.

I checked that 40AMP block fuse and it looks good. I quickly swapped it for a 50AMP to see if there was a change. Nothing, same.

At this point, unless anyone has an other ideas, perhaps a time to the dealer is required. I will check the bulbs just the be sure, but since the fog lamps are out, I don't think it is the bulbs.

OS