General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Disco 2 missfire's , stalls and lurches forwards at a stop etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:00 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 2 missfire's , stalls and lurches forwards at a stop etc

Hi all,

I have a 2004 Discovery 2,

recently been having a lot of trouble.
Love the truck but getting sick of all of the faults.

Major problem is there is no dealer near where I live (2 1/2 hrs away), so the local mechanics admit they don't know how to fault find on the Land Rover.

Found a mechanic half hour away who has a land rover scan tool and works on a few of them.

Anyway my issues -

The engine management light came on without me being aware of any issues... local mechanic plugged in and said there are miss fires on various cylinders. But doesn't know what the issue is has his reader wont go any deeper. Advised me to take to dealer

Since then I have noticed -

when driving the truck feels like it misfires or engine dies for a split second...but carries on.
The other day after a 15 min drive I stopped whilst picking up the kids and the engine wouldn't restart......it did after 5 attempt and about 10 mins.

Today whilst taking it to the other mechanic the truck died whilst stopped at some road works, but fired up immediately.

Anyway got to the mechanics and he plugged her in and also scanned on a test drive..... all was perfect ...bloody obviously.

He said there are some fault codes on it ... basically all but a few cylinders are showing a misfire but also had fuel tank empty code on there.

He said without the issue happening whilst he has it, it will be hard to solve.

He also said if it happens again to go back and he will fit a tester for me to drive around with and it will log the faults has they happen.

In the mean time I had looked at this forum and others and found that the Crank case sensor seems to create some of the faults im having, mechanic said the sensor didn't produce a code so doubts it will be this.

He did say it might be worth swapping the MAF sensor has these can cause these issues.... again no direct fault code but ?

Do you guys have any ideas.... just feel I cant trust the truck at the moment and its driving me nuts

( within the last year - all spark plugs replaced and leads, 1 x coil pack replaced. Something on the brakes ABS system that required sending away for seals? Caused the holy trinity fault ( engine management light/ hill descent and traction control light) other than that all recommended services are carried out)

Thanks

Glen

Old 03-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which cylinders are missing? Code numbers could be helpful.