General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Is engine really dead?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! These videos are great. Easy. Klandrover

Old 05-17-2016, 01:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Ha when I got my disco the pcv tube from the intake was cut off with a bolt plugging it. I just ignored it and never looked into where it went, now I know! Hmmm...to fix or not to fix

Old 05-22-2016, 12:00 PM
4wd High
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing I would do is a cylinder leak-down test, this will tell you WHERE the leak is. Autozone has a loaner kit to do this. Basically, you take the spark plug out, put this adapter in, and then pressurize the cylinder and listen for the leak: valve cover=valve leaking, crankcase=rings or piston, exhaust=exhaust valve leaking. Second thing I would do is to pull the valve cover, ,pull off the rocker asssembly, and take a brass punch and a hammer and smack the valve stem. A stuck valve or carbon deposit could cause this. If that doesn't resolve it, pull the heads. A leaking ring will hold SOME pressure, a hole in a piston or a broken piston won't, , ,a leaking (stuck or burnt) won't. You don't have enough diagnosis there to go straight to "replace engine", in my opinion. Of note, , i have been working on these engines for close to 30 years,, , ,back when they were in Buicks, , the mechanical part hasn't changed much.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Update

So it is obvious to me that the first shop just plainly ripped me off. They did not want to work on an old Land rover so blew it off as needing a new engine. Charged me 600.00 to tell me the same thing that the emissions paper that I gave them.

I took it to this new shop that did the work for $1200.00. They ............ The truck runs great. It was not only the 5th cylinder it was more but they did the work and she runs great. This is the difference between shops and between honest and dishonest. I think she will run for awhile. The oil was so clean I had a hard time reading the stick. I am so use to dirty. Thanks everyone for your help. I am writing a complaint letter to the bad shop with a copy to the BBB, the DMV who made me go to the original shop because they were deemed a "qualified" shop which Wisconsin makes you go to otherwise the work is not considered genuine and they will not count the cost for the repair. You have to spend over $868.00 before they will let you slide. The DMV is just giving these "qualified" shops carte blanche to charge you a large bill without any real assessment or work. My opinion. I don't think anyone have $600.00 to waste.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Update

So it is obvious to me that the first shop just plainly ripped me off. They did not want to work on an old Land rover so blew it off as needing a new engine. Charged me 600.00 to tell me the same thing that the emissions paper that I gave them.

I took it to this new shop that did the work for $1200.00. They took off the head gasket and cleaned it up redid all the gaskets and it doesn't leak like it did either. She smells sweeter too! The truck runs great. It was not only the 5th cylinder it was more but they did the work and she runs great. This is the difference between shops and between honest and dishonest. I think she will run for awhile. The oil was so clean I had a hard time reading the stick. I am so use to dirty. Thanks everyone for your help. I am writing a complaint letter to the bad shop with a copy to the BBB, the DMV who made me go to the original shop because they were deemed a "qualified" shop. Wisconsin makes you go " qualified" shop otherwise the work is not considered genuine and they will not count the cost for the repair. You have to spend over $868.00 before they will let you slide and renew your license plate. The DMV is just giving these "qualified" shops carte blanche to charge you a large bill without any real assessment or work. My opinion. I don't think anyone have $600.00 to waste.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

That's great news! Congratulations!

Keeping the brand alive...

The following users liked this post:
klandrover (07-01-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 03:44 PM
Drifting
Default Lions and young.

Prolly why babies are so dam cute too. Most of em at least.