General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine temp guage

Old 11-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Very affordable but what's with this Degrees C and Bar stuff?

Old 11-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Very affordable but what's with this Degrees C and Bar stuff?
I'm afraid that once you leave the US into many other countries you have to live with metrication and the temperature is measured in celsius and the pressure is in bar (circa 15 psi) or even in psi sometimes. If you are in mainland europe everything is metric except some hangover in plumbing screwed fittings sizes which are still in imperial. Sometimes I get referred to as a dinosaur for not accepting certain things. However, the French still have both centimeters and inches on adverts for TV's in stores, they call inches 'pouces' which is either inches or fleas (pou is a louse) and a 'pouce' is a thumb. Strange medieval language - a bit short on words to use, does my head in sometimes.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I was just messing with you. I'm an engineer for a specialty contractor and we use equipment from the States, the UK, Germany, Austria, Italy and Japan. We see it all I terms of fittings and gauges. British parallel pipe? Check. SAE tubing with metric threaded end fittings? Got that. Motors that run at 50 Hz? Got them. Capacity in kN? Got that. Pressure in kg/m2? Sure.

My favorite is the federal funded projects that come in "designed" in SI. SI units are actually very easy to deal with because all you are doing is moving a decimal point around. It's a system of units that was developed based on logic and reason unlike SAE which is based on things like the distance from some king's nose to his thumb or the length of 3 grains of barley. But all that they end up doing here is designing the job in SAE units then converting to SI because all of the materials are produced in SAE. Like micropiles with 244 mm casing and 1,524 mm rock sockets instead of 9 5/8 in. and 5 ft.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
I was just messing with you. I'm an engineer for a specialty contractor and we use equipment from the States, the UK, Germany, Austria, Italy and Japan. We see it all I terms of fittings and gauges. British parallel pipe? Check. SAE tubing with metric threaded end fittings? Got that. Motors that run at 50 Hz? Got them. Capacity in kN? Got that. Pressure in kg/m2? Sure.

My favorite is the federal funded projects that come in "designed" in SI. SI units are actually very easy to deal with because all you are doing is moving a decimal point around. It's a system of units that was developed based on logic and reason unlike SAE which is based on things like the distance from some king's nose to his thumb or the length of 3 grains of barley. But all that they end up doing here is designing the job in SAE units then converting to SI because all of the materials are produced in SAE. Like micropiles with 244 mm casing and 1,524 mm rock sockets instead of 9 5/8 in. and 5 ft.
Sounds like we have trodden similar paths over the years. Mine was petro-chem and nuclear installations, power and military. Like you I've been landed with about every standard, measurement, weight etc the list is endless and it still gets confusing sometimes. fortunately I've quit the real world of work but sometimes that's where I think I should be, retirement ain't all it's cracked up to be. Gods waiting room can get so boring