General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help solve check engine light mystery with my 2003 Discovery S

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:22 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help solve check engine light mystery with my 2003 Discovery S

Purchased car last April. Looks great. Has 92,500 miles. Engine light was on. Local good mechanic spent several hours trying to diagnose problem. Codes returned –p1451 and Po447 – purge canister Vent valve power fault. Bottom line could not fix it and recommended that I go to dealer. Got a rejection sticker as I did not want to drive with an expired one. Report stated emissions result failed. Curiously after driving about 100 miles to Cape Cod I noticed that the check engine light was off. I took the car to the local sticker guy and he rechecked it and it passed fine. Now have valid sticker until next April.
Took to Land Rover dealer on cape. Good folks all around I think. They first thought I had a crack in the engine because I was losing a little coolant. They did required tests and a host of other tests and could find nothing wrong. Did suggest probably bent camshaft but suggested that I just drive the car and see what happens. Have now fallen in love with the car. Taken it off road. Drove it over 1,000 miles. Engine ticks some when hot but other than that runs smoothly….picks up speed nicely… and where it not for the engine light I would be happy as a clam on the cape.
Here are a couple of other facts that could help you help me. When I let the car sit for about a month I started it and the check engine light started blinking. I thought it was going to explode. Also notice a putrid smell coming from engine for a short time and then went away. Then engine light stopped blinking. It blinked a few other times but once I was driving for a few minutes it would stop blinking. Now since I drive it regularly it does not blink at on but still is on.
I do lose a little coolant somewhere. Does not appear on ground. I have been checking the oil and there is no evidence of any contamination from coolant at all, at least, that I can see.
Were it not for the sticker stuff I would just drive it. Only will use on the cape. Probably only a couple of thousand miles a year.
It is a perfect beach, off road, pull my little boat and dump vehicle. Aside from that I get lots of admiring looks because the car looks to handsome.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bubba George