General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Horn not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn not working

Hi folks, newby q: Just bought a 04 Disco 2 days ago. Everything works great, but the horn doesn't work at all.

Took a look at the fuse box under the hood and checked fuse 16 is ok - got that from the owners manual. However a relay is missing. That struck me as "not as designed"

On the picture below the missing relay is R14 (ignore the arrow - I just grabbed the pic off of the web). Could that be the issue. Would I have another issue? Is the missing realy for a feature my Disco doesn't have?

Tia.

Jacques

Old 12-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

R14 is for the Active Cornering Enhancement (ACE) option. Does your power steering reservoir have one cap, or two? If only one cap, then you don't have this option.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

These trucks were sold in every country on earth and things are left blank on purpose depending on where it was sold.
First thing you need to do it test the horn itself.
Next would be the horn buttons, it is very common for the springs under the buttons to short out and set off the horn at 3am.
The owner then removes the springs and puts the buttons back so as not to have 2 holes in the steering wheel.
So press the horn buttons, do they feel "springy"? Or are they just "dead" or "flat"?

Old 12-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Drifting

Thanks Lordmorpheus - Just one cap on power steering. - No ACE.

Thanks Spike555 - horn buttons do feel springy.

How do I test the horn? Thanks.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Do you have another car?
Remove your horn and hook it up to the other car, does it sound?
If you dont have another car you can buy a horn at any auto parts store for cheap, install it and see if it works.
It does not need to be a Land Rover horn, horns are universal.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Use finger

Old 12-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Getting to the horn requires removing the grill, which isn't too bad. I just jumped mine straight to the battery to test mine. Since I tested both and replaced one of my horns years ago, I had to consult RAVE to remember if the horns were self grounding: they are not. They actually receive continuous voltage from the battery, and pressing the horn button grounds them, completing the circuit.

So, to test the horns, use two jumper wires, one ground, one hot.

It could also be the horn relay F16. Check it as well.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Drifting

Thanks Lord. It'll be a few days before I get to that. The detailed instructions are much appreciated.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The newer Disco 2 saw the error of their ways and converted back to the grounded horn. Fuse 16 underhood runs to relay 13 (one with your original arrow). Unplug relay, use a jumper, across what would be pins 30 and 87 on the relay base, and horns should honk, 24 hour power. Horns have separate earths (ground points). As mentioned, replacement horns can be from a variety of sources.

Would like you to get this fixed, they are louder than your final scream of "Oh ....." before impact with police car, attorney's wife's car, kid on bike, hot babe on skates, old guy in an electric scooter with a small muddy green oval glued on the side, or a weak defensless Jeep.....

RAVE drawing attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 horn wires.PDF (98.5 KB, 874 views)
Old 12-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Drifting

Perfect. Sounds like I should be able to do that. Thanks a lot! Will post the result.

Quick Reply: Horn not working