Go Back   Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum > General Land Rover Forums > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2012, 12:48 PM

Cool LR3 SE V8 2007 Battery Replacement & Install

Hi everyone!

I am having the (I assume common) issues - faults everywhere - engine, parking brake etc. when a battery has reached the end of its life in rover world. The car starts sometimes, other times just clicks. Air fans and lights work even if it does not start.

I have been searching through the forum posts about the Battery (not fob) and noticed that on the battery there is a tube that plugs in on the side of the side of the battery facing the front of the car (just below and to the right of the Positive terminal). I am assuming it is air for cooling? All the batteries I have looked at - Interstate, CarQuest, Autocraft - don't have the hole for that. Is it necessary? Is it worth it to just go to LandRover and let them replace the battery?
Old 09-29-2012, 01:45 PM

if it doesnt have the hole its the wrong group size. match it up or it wont fit and slide around and short out the car

Land Rover technician Got a problem just ask. If you are a fellow LR tech then I would like to hear from you.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:52 PM

Philip Lawrence
Send a message via Skype™ to Spike555

The tube is a vent to allow battery acid to spill out of the battery if it gets overcharged.
Dont worry about that, just get a good battery.
AutoZone Duralast Gold is a great battery, thats what I have, 1000CA, 900CCA and was under $100 when I bought mine 4 years ago, 8 year warranty too.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:20 PM

Guys -

Thank you for this help. I just got back from autozone - tested the old battery - it was 79% charged, but was only throwing about 10.5 volts. Replaced it with the Duralast Gold -- (it did have the acid spill hole - which fitted perfectly with the line cap) and started right up. AND... all the faults VANISHED.

For future readers - I removed the battery and brought it with me to the shop. So the battery was out of the car for about 2 hours. I only had to reset the clock - radio stations did not change and mileage on the care remained as is.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-30-2012, 04:20 PM

Tags
2007, battery, changing, fob, land, location, lr3, problems, radio, randrover, replacement, reset, rover, se, v8