General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

not sure if series 2 or 3??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not sure if series 2 or 3??

Hi, I have a land rover and i m not sure what series it is.......

the dashboard clocks are in the middle, the lights where originally in between the wings (one of the previous owner moved them to the wings now) the gearbox dosen t have synchros on 1 st and 2 nd

so i thought it s an early series 2 but the year of manufacturer is 1977 and from what i found on the web in 77 series 3 where sold so could it be a mistake in the yom? or maybe a mistake on the logbook ??? or maybe the car was was sold a few years later from when the agent ordered it???

it had quite a few owners so it would be nearly impossible to track the original one and i really don t know what model it is ( and am really curios about it) when i took it to the local agent (in Malta we have only one official land rover agent) he said it is a s2 and has quite a history

I attached a pic

Attached Thumbnails not sure if series 2 or 3??-02032011010.jpg  

Last edited by landamqabba; 04-26-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:40 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Based on the grill and wings it's a Series III. But someone could have replaced them. The photo is too fuzzy to make out other tell tale indicators.
If it's a SIII the syncros could be worn out, or the gearbox could have been replaced with a SIIa box. Much less likely is that someone did an HD upgrade to a SIII box which was essentially installing SIIa guts.
If the clutch slave cylinder is horizontal on the bottom left, under the starter, then it's a SIII gearbox and you probably have worn syncros. SIIa had the slave cylinder vertcial on the right side.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Overlanding

the slave cylinder is on the left alright but it s vertical and the self starter is on the right side. so i m guessing s2 box??

Old 04-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by antichrist
Based on the grill and wings it's a Series III. But someone could have replaced them. The photo is too fuzzy to make out other tell tale indicators.
If it's a SIII the syncros could be worn out, or the gearbox could have been replaced with a SIIa box. Much less likely is that someone did an HD upgrade to a SIII box which was essentially installing SIIa guts.
If the clutch slave cylinder is horizontal on the bottom left, under the starter, then it's a SIII gearbox and you probably have worn syncros. SIIa had the slave cylinder vertcial on the right side.

What s the difference between series 2 and 3 wings? also what s the tell tale indicator?

the grill has been changed as luck has it one of the previous owners saw a picture of it on the internet and contacted me he owned it about 10 years ago and changed the lights (as i mentioned before) and the grill,

sorry about all these questions but i m kind of new to the whole series land rovers ...

Ohhhh i almost forgot here s a link of a vid i uploaded to show the car to my friend it s a look around the landy it s clearer than the image and i can t upload big files so....

Land rover series 2 look around - YouTube

Old 04-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by landamqabba
the slave cylinder is on the left alright but it s vertical and the self starter is on the right side. so i m guessing s2 box??
On the left when sitting in the driver's seat?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by antichrist
On the left when sitting in the driver's seat?
If i look at the engine from the front the self starter is on the right and the slave cylinder is on the left.

If you look at the from the drivers seat then the slave cylinder is on the right and the self starter on the left

Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Baja

Ok, you have a 2a gearbox then.

R & L are usually referenced as if you're sitting in the drivers seat.