General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

PROBLEM WITH MY HORN!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:41 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROBLEM WITH MY HORN!!

I own a 2003 Discovery II, purchased about 4 months ago. I knew going in there would be some electrical issues, and that was fine. I love the truck. However, last night something happened that I found odd. At about 11pm the horn was set off by something, and wouldnt go off. I grabbed the keys, started the car but the horn wouldnt stop. When i held down the horn button, it would stop, but when i let go, it would go off again. Because it was SOOOOO cold outside I blasted the heat and defrost thinking the cold weather may have caused some sort of electrical problem (short?). A few minutes later I could release the horn button and no noise, but when i got out and slammed the door it set back off. I got back in and stopped it by holding the horn button, but every time I touched the steering wheel the horn would beep.I continued to let the heat blast and got the manual out to find the appropriate fuse to remove, by the time I located the fuse the heat had been on for about 5-10 minutes, and the problem had gone away. Any suggestions? Also, I am having trouble with the traction ontrol (3 amber light warning), which will come on and off, without me doing anything.

Any suggestions would help greatly.

Thanks.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: PROBLEM WITH MY HORN!!

Maybe it was your alarm going off. If it happens again, rest the alarm by locking and unlocking the door 3 time with either the key or the remote.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:10 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wasnt the alarm. It just sounded like someone was laying on the horn for literally 5 minutes. It was very odd. Could the cold weather have caused this?

Old 11-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to say that your horn button(s) is/are coming apart or maybe the horn relay contacts are closing for some reason. You could try swapping relays to see if it changes. If not, then either switches are bad or something else is to blame.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Had recent similar experience. Mine is 2000 - assuming architecture is same. Behind each button is a stamped metal plate with a hole in the center that accomodates a spring to retain the buttons in the open position.Thespring does not contact the plates, but is close tolerance.Thisplate (travel plate) is wired and has 4 tongues at the corners which make contact with a plate mounted at the bottom of the button well. Perhaps there is something inside that is shorting contact - could be foreign metal, broken wire making contact with bottom plate, distorted plate(s),springmaking short, etc. The button can be removed, but warning, they become loose once this is done - warm first with a hair dryer. There are four tabs roughly at the corners of theplastic buttons(on the larger axis)that engage holeson the shoulder of the well. Gently pry these toward center at a corner and see if you can remove the button to see whats wrong. Also - is it one button in particular that seems toturn things on/off? If so, this is likely. If not, something deeper in the wheel and don't waste your time with aforementioned! Good luck.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Three Wheeling

If you proceed and buttons do become loose (ie - pop out), see my post 9/7/2008. Haven't had a problem since.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had same problem the other night with my 2000 disco II. the neighbors did NOT appreciate it. i just unhooked the horns...
so what was the fix that worked for you?
thanks