General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2012 LR4 ABS sensor fault...and chaos

Old 11-30-2023, 07:34 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 LR4 ABS sensor fault...and chaos

Hey all, new here. I've dug through the search and didn't find what I was looking for. Any suggestions??

GPS took me off the beaten path (joyfully) and we ended up on a mudded New England logging road and high centered after enthusiastically throwing ourselves up the hill several times. It turns out grass/snow mode is NOT mud mode, but I didn't realize that until the 6th or 7th attempt. I had to dig us out in 33 degree weather (and do the smart strap-a-log-to-the-spinning-tire trick to gain traction) while my wife entertained the little ones inside.

In the process of trying again and again, a large branch which had been used to try to gain traction got jammed up between the front passenger suspension arm, the strut and the tire. I was able to pull it out and it didn't seem to have damaged anything. On our way home we started getting all sorts of faults, though. The check engine light is on with a wheel speed sensor code (which seems to have discontinued all suspension support with faults in the air ride system, ABS, and traction control) so I replaced the ABS/Wheel Speed sensor and everything was fixed!

...Until yesterday. Same faults, same wheel, body lowered to the frame, no suspension control and nothing responding. It's a brand new speed sensor so I don't think it's that, and even though there are like 6 dash lights on, it's only throwing one code.
The only other damage I noticed was that the CV boot was pulled out from under the clip on the small side (toward the engine).

Old 12-04-2023, 12:04 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?

Originally Posted by advchiro
Hey all, new here. I've dug through the search and didn't find what I was looking for. Any suggestions??

GPS took me off the beaten path (joyfully) and we ended up on a mudded New England logging road and high centered after enthusiastically throwing ourselves up the hill several times. It turns out grass/snow mode is NOT mud mode, but I didn't realize that until the 6th or 7th attempt. I had to dig us out in 33 degree weather (and do the smart strap-a-log-to-the-spinning-tire trick to gain traction) while my wife entertained the little ones inside.

In the process of trying again and again, a large branch which had been used to try to gain traction got jammed up between the front passenger suspension arm, the strut and the tire. I was able to pull it out and it didn't seem to have damaged anything. On our way home we started getting all sorts of faults, though. The check engine light is on with a wheel speed sensor code (which seems to have discontinued all suspension support with faults in the air ride system, ABS, and traction control) so I replaced the ABS/Wheel Speed sensor and everything was fixed!

...Until yesterday. Same faults, same wheel, body lowered to the frame, no suspension control and nothing responding. It's a brand new speed sensor so I don't think it's that, and even though there are like 6 dash lights on, it's only throwing one code.
The only other damage I noticed was that the CV boot was pulled out from under the clip on the small side (toward the engine).
Really? No one??

Old 12-04-2023, 02:39 PM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

Try posting in the LR4 forum instead of this general one.