General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stalling and more- advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:38 AM
4wd High
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stalling and more- advice please.

Hello! I'll try to keep this simple...

I have a 2000 Disco 2 V8. Love at first sight. Purchased with flashing odometer so mileage is a mystery. Saga begins, this is long but I wanted to be thorough:

In October 2015 the M & S lights went on for the first time and after scouring the forums and researching as much as a non-mechanical gal can, I took it in thinking it was a crank shaft position sensor (I have a previous post on this, look it up). It was (codes were "can communication" , "crank sensor" and "crank sensor circuit A") At the time they were concerned about the fly wheel as well (?). Done!

In February of 2016 I put in a new refurbished alternator.

In August of 2016 the M & S lights started up again. I did drive it a little longer before I brought it in and by then it seemed to have gone into the limp mode at times and the check engine light was on. The codes came up as P1884, P0335, P0336-- all relating again to the crank sensor again, all the same codes. As well as- Rear right sensor output too low and shuttle valve switch electrical failure. At this point they cleared the codes, again stating they think it could be a flywheel issue and told me I should take it to a dealer for further diagnosis and repair. Ugh! I live in Northern Minnesota, a perfect land for Rovers, yet no mechanics to be found. I decided not to tow it to the cities. I brought my Rover home to rest. Walking to work.

Earlier this 2017 I said enough is enough, I'll put it on Craigslist. Went to start it up- dead. Battery replaced and started up right away and it was FINE. No lights, no nothing. (They had tested the battery when I brought it in the last time it and said it was "ok for now".) wow.

That didn't last long. M & S lights again. I ve found a new mechanic- hooked it up to the computer and those codes happened --6F reference detector fault & 23 "can message N MOT invalid" (transmission module?) not sure- but my mechanic thought my battery was too small, it was also testing weak (pretty new!) so we got a bigger one and it seemed to work! (When I Brought the bad battery back for a refund and they said it tested fine?? Something draining my system?)

No. Now I have a new problem. It is stalling- driving, coming to a stop and stalls. Shut everything down and try again and starts. It's like it needs a minute and then it starts. This happened several times the last time I drove it and now the check engine light is back on. Also it seemed to be pulling, kicking or jerky on the way home. Here it sits.

Any ideas, help, etc, would be great as I will be bringing it back next week to check again for codes. Thoughts? I am going to have him check ground, connections, corrosion as doesn't it still sound like voltage, battery? Not getting enough power?

-fuel pump? Fuel filter? Regulator? I use premium fuel only.
-XYZ? Bad adjustment?
-bad connections, loose? Living on a steep hill with holes everywhere?

Really, thanks again as this is so long. Just trying to be as clear as possible and I am at the sad point where I might just have to sell. ;(

Anything would helps us both out!