General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sticking stinky calipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 08:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Let's hold off on the whoo hooing for just a bit...

Personally, I'd liked to have heard that you took the vehicle back to the repair facility...while the caliper was still sticking and explain about the other side doing the same...especially, while it still fell within a one year timeframe.

The heat created by the sticking caliper(s) can be intense, causing the pad surface to become glazed (causing poor braking ability) and also cause the adhesive that holds the friction material to the pad to become compromised (causing the material to separate). It can also damage the rotor, if it gets extremely hot, basically, heat treating the rotor and hardening the mating surface. Whereas, the pad doesn't adhere to the rotor as intended and braking will suffer.

If it happens again...my recommendation would be to get your vehicle over there asap.

Brian.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Let's hold off on the whoo hooing for just a bit...

Personally, I'd liked to have heard that you took the vehicle back to the repair facility...while the caliper was still sticking and explain about the other side doing the same...especially, while it still fell within a one year timeframe.

The heat created by the sticking caliper(s) can be intense, causing the pad surface to become glazed (causing poor braking ability) and also cause the adhesive that holds the friction material to the pad to become compromised (causing the material to separate). It can also damage the rotor, if it gets extremely hot, basically, heat treating the rotor and hardening the mating surface. Whereas, the pad doesn't adhere to the rotor as intended and braking will suffer.

If it happens again...my recommendation would be to get your vehicle over there asap.

Brian.
Don't you worry George.... Emma still has her appointment for a full physical on Monday and for as much fussing as she's been doing lately, I know it's due. I'm merely woo-hooing because the dang thing released today as I was enjoying the warm, sunny weather. I'm sure you can appreciate my joy as much as I appreciate your concern I hate thinking that I'm doing additional damage while driving to and from work and seeing as I have no friends or family around lately it's just me, myself, and I moseying from point A to point B. I was just thinking about that today.. 'who could I call for a ride if I needed one?' The local bus service came to mind and/or a cab. I suppose I could ride a bike or walk, but based on my company's rather impatient reaction today with my response time to their requests, I doubt I'd walk fast enough. Talk about demanding! I'm putting down overtime.

Anyhoo.. who? hoo.. I'll report in on Monday. Thanks again Mr. Banks... I really do appreciate it.

Last edited by landlover_1; 02-18-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

'If you don't look back at your car after you park it, you own the wrong car.'

That quote popped into my head today as I followed my Rover down the road watching someone else drive it. Has anyone else felt weird about watching another person drive your love? A weird and uncomfortable feeling.

I know I'm addicted.

A short half hour later I got the call that everything was fine and all brakes were wearing evenly. Rotor surfaces are fine, pads have 15 to 20k miles left on them and although the right back caliper was a little warm after driving it around, he didn't think it was an issue.

SO.. relieved but puzzled, there was major smoke coming off of both back calipers over the past two weeks. More chaotic theory to ponder...

$0.00 and they were kind enough to put my rear hatch door back on the bolt thingie and crimp it down with some kind of fastener. I forgot about the washer though. I think I'll have to lift it all up and put a washer down so the door is at the right height. Right now you have to lift the door a bit to get it to close - I think a washer would make all the difference.

My apologies if I insulted you Deputy with the Party Pooper comments - I like to play around I would never sincerely do that if I didn't think you could dish it out as well as you take it. I appreciate all of your constructive criticism and camaraderie.

Hope everyone is enjoying this fine Monday.. I'm a little bushed. It was a long weekend

Old 02-21-2017, 03:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

No apologies necessary. Actually, I didn't even watch the video. We have DSL out here in the boonies...so, trying to watch a video, would be ten times more painful than anything anyone could ever say to me...lol.

Your scenario is common place; you have an issue, but when mechanic drives it...no problem.

Darn mechanics anyway.

But, seriously. Just keep an eye on it, mechanical problems usually happen for a reason and rarely, if never ever, go away peacefully. Something caused your calipers to stick, stink and smoke...and whatever caused it before...will most likely happen again. Hopefully, not. But I'd not put much faith in that.

Had a similar issue with my Jeep once, caliper hung up about half way to Cabelas (300 mile round trip). Went in, got what l needed (about half hour)...hopped in Jeep and started for home. Caliper was fine the entire way home. Actually, didn't act up again for about another week or so...when I went on a lengthy drive. Short drives it was fine, longer ones...not so much.

Anyhow, good luck and have a nice week.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
landlover_1 (02-21-2017)