Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Air filters

Old 10-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air filters

With every vehicle I've ever had, the first thing I do is throw in an aftermarket air filter like a K&N. But I've heard from some that with certain vehicle brands you might void the warranty if you do so. Anyone know if this is true with LR's? Looking to put one in my new LR4 but wanted to ask around first. Any other ideas on filters at all like a cold air intake? Anyone make those for the LR4? Seem to be having a heck of a time finding anything on the aftermarket side for this vehicle that isn't a simple generic "It should fit" kind of deal.

Cheers

Old 10-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

K&N's let through more dirt.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Use only a "FACTORY" air filter for cleaner air flow, many of the after market air filters don't even fit the air filter box properly.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

IMHO factory style filter or ones that are similar and remove finer dust are great. Filters that let a lot more air pass, with less filtration, may be good at the drag strip, or on a 500 mile race around a paved track, but real world just make more noise (my engine sounds more powerful). But the computerized engine controls in all modern cars are measuring the air flow (MAF sensor), the temperature of the air (IAT sensor); which gives the weight of the air; the temperature of the fuel; etc.; and recalculating all of this plus independent timing advance per cylinder to deliver the precise length of the electrical pulse for each injector to keep fuel/air mix at what engineers determined was the perfect ratio. So while there may be the potential for a performance boost with no air filter or lower restriction one, the computer will work against these efforts. Now if you go to a Megasquirt system, or something where you have control of the parameters, that is a different animal.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Rock Crawling

Cold air intakes are all hype. They're pretty useless for everyday driving. Or off road driving. And their "cold air" name is a misnomer. Almost all the cold air intakes I've seen simply suck hot air from the engine bay through an exposed "high flow" air filter that also sucks up anything else that happens to be in the engine bay at the time and doesn't clean the air as well as the factory unit does. I put a paper filter, usually a WIX, in mine and be done with it.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i 100% agree with you guys on the filter. there is no improvement on modern cars these days with just a filter. however i still run a k&n filter because they cost almost the same as a fram and they can be cleaned. so it pays for itself after a few oil changes.

now then things i have noticed over the years of running a k&n in every one of my cars is this:

Compared to all other filter i have noticed ( visually ) they pick out as much dirt as any other filter.

For those of you out there that say they destroy MAF i agree to an extent. it will if you clean then improperly. for those who think use A LOT of oil when applying is a good idea you are a complete idiot. There is a fine line on how much oil to use. use to much oil goes through sticks to your MAF and burns it out. so there goes 1500 bucks. use to little it wont pick up as much contaminants as it should so whats the point of having a filter at all. so read the directions when cleaning your filter. and yes i have seen an improvement with MPG on my rover.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh God....here we go.

I personally have done dyno test with friends....believe what you want to believe.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Mudding

I figure if anything is "fine" enough to get past a filter, it deserves to be combusted in the motor and our nice V8's probably wont have a problem doing it and spitting it right out. I agree that a consistent amount of a larger grain dust is bad...but if its something so fine like pollen getting past a K&N...will that REALLY hurt our motors that bad?

Sorry for my ignorance, I just really do figure that if it fine enough to get past a air "filter" then the motor should have NO problem burning it right up and spitting it out. Just my .02 cents! I'm still itching so bad to get an aftermarket filter on my baby.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
Oh God....here we go.

I personally have done dyno test with friends....believe what you want to believe.
Pray tell, what were the results of said test?

Old 10-20-2012, 12:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me look for the test control details and the results. We did a control test on a modern Hemi engine, using a variety of intakes....this was YEARS ago.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air filters