Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Easy Exhaust Mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy Exhaust Mod

Hey all ive been reading and it seems like alot of people are chopping off resonators and mufflers. at the moment i dont want to break the bank, and i dont want to caust the vehicle any problems. i have an 02 disco se7 that im picking up tomorrow. i cant wait. i want a nice deep throaty v8 sound, that isnt annoying in the cabin with the windows up. but i definitely wanna hear that baby roar when i step on it.

what do you guys think about replacement mufflers, and or resonator 'deletes'? ive seen some cheap mufflers for this car online.

eventually ill add a real exhaust for power, but at the moment everything is budget budget budget. lights and sound system are coming next.

thanks for any info you can provide, i really enjoy this forum and everyone here so nice and helpful. can any one post links or vids of their exhaust setups?

Old 07-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Dr. Jones,

Before indulging your ears with new mufflers or stereo, I suggest an Ultra Gauge, $70, so you can see how bad you are overheating, and what other codes might be lurking. And there is the 60K high miles service write up in the tech section to get busy on. Once you have worked through all the small stuff, and a new front propshaft or rebuild, then you can see what budget is left...

Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Dr. Jones,

Before indulging your ears with new mufflers or stereo, I suggest an Ultra Gauge, $70, so you can see how bad you are overheating, and what other codes might be lurking. And there is the 60K high miles service write up in the tech section to get busy on. Once you have worked through all the small stuff, and a new front propshaft or rebuild, then you can see what budget is left...

damn. after reading all this, im convinced these are the crappiest designed/built cars on the planet. are they really that finnicky? total buzzkill.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i chopped the resonator off my '03 about a month ago. i like it. it wasn't as loud as i thought it would be, but it's a nice bit of extra rumble.
jon

Old 07-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Rock Crawling

yes, they can be that finicky. it's british.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Drifting

is this what you mean?

UltraGauge EM w/mount [UltraGauge_EM] - $78.95 : UltraGauge, OBD II Scan Tool & Information Center

also, if im not off roading at all will i still have all these problems? it will be my around town car

Last edited by Indiana Jones; 07-19-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Disco's need their maintenance done on time and properly. it is not a car you can skip out on things. lot's of fluids to change. a few design flaws (front drive shaft). and over all british quirkiness. but, when they are running well, and maintained well, they are a wonderful car to drive.
and yes, that is the ultraguage he is referring too.
jon

Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by nahtanoj
Disco's need their maintenance done on time and properly. it is not a car you can skip out on things. lot's of fluids to change. a few design flaws (front drive shaft). and over all british quirkiness. but, when they are running well, and maintained well, they are a wonderful car to drive.
and yes, that is the ultraguage he is referring too.
jon
ok thanks for the tips. i was always very good about maintaining my turbo car. regular oil changes and the like. i plan to treat this car just as good. i pick it up tomorrow and so far reading alot of stuff here im scared and dont wanna dread my new car. maybe i just read too much today haha

Old 07-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

IMHO what seems to be a pattern is that formerly well funded suburbanites desired a prestige do anything vehicle. Then they buy it, and we had all the economic problems. By now the owner has extra little ones, lower cash flow, and then one or both spouses are downsized, etc. The dealer level maintenance is dropped. Pretty soon all maintenance is dropped. They bail out when problems mount.

New owner buys nice looking truck, only to find that maintenace has been skipped for three years. There's a lot to catch up, maybe even some warning lights covered over. Now don't feel bad, this happens with all manner of luxury vehicles, not just Rovers. If you don't have an extra thousand to throw at initial problems, you and SWMBO won't be happy. Now doing the work yourself is a great way to save money and learn more about your truck. And if there are salvage yards on your path, even just paying the $2 to get in is an education as you'll see what the vehicles look like with parts removed.

Of course, you could have plenty of folding money and then your only issue is which mechanic to schedule. We have plenty of members who maintain by open check book, and are all too familair with the BOAT repair system (bring over another thousand).

Perhaps one design difference is that on a Rover lots of fluids are designed to be changed to replace them after a weekend of "wading" in the deep water. On a Ford pickup, not so much. So people used to maintaining a 2WD "everything is sealed" vehicle will think the Rover high maintenance. But it has to be.

By regular oil changes, we mean 3,000 - 5,000 miles, even if you use pink pony dropping synthetic horse poop oil. Extended drain intervals are not desired.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones
is this what you mean?

UltraGauge EM w/mount [UltraGauge_EM] - $78.95 : UltraGauge, OBD II Scan Tool & Information Center

also, if im not off roading at all will i still have all these problems? it will be my around town car

Horrible choice for an around town car, but go ahead, ignore all the other things get the baddest sound system and the loudest mufflers and some PHAT 20's or better wheels, slam it and bagg it then it will be easier to resell on CL when it does crap out on you, with some luck you can double your money and by a real pimped car. Maybe even one of those 300's that has the Bently grille upfront.

Quick Reply: Easy Exhaust Mod