Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

which headers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts
Default which headers?

so gotta get my choice to shop so heads can be matched. not one of my original choices are available, any longer.
I really wanted janspeed, but they quit making them. so was going to go with todd co, as they are the next best fit, but still I have not received an email in response to my question of their availability. (that has been my experience with them over the last 6-8 months)

hedman has the ones that are suited for the d1, but I am unsure of any issues that may occur with clearance of steering components on my d2. none the less, I need to order some so here is what I have. summit doesn't list them as fitting d2.i think it just requires spacers, to fit?

hedman 39800 full length for disco1/defender. painted and fitment are my issues. I have it on good authority, that these like to rust quickly and are thin. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-39800/reviews/

hedman 39806. these are the same fitment, but come ceramic coated. this would be great (helps the rust issue), but they are listed as shorty. I think I would rather go long tube. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-39806/overview/

what about universal fit? that opens up selections, but is that a better route? my experience says no, but I obviously can't figure out the route to take. flowtech says their ft2 is a fit with minor alterations.

so I will be forced to go with the hedmans unless one of you fine folk can point me in another direction

all that rambling and I really just want to ask if anyone knows of another header, besides hedman 39800, that will fit a d2??????

Old 10-30-2014, 11:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...ake/land-rover

These will fit with no issues. I have the ceramic coated set, and they're built just fine in comparison to a lot of other brands I've seen for other platforms.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...ake/land-rover

These will fit with no issues. I have the ceramic coated set, and they're built just fine in comparison to a lot of other brands I've seen for other platforms.
thank you. which ones? that link has both the ones that I have listed. are you speaking of the full length or the shorty?

Old 10-31-2014, 09:06 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

long tube header are for building horsepower and torque from mid-to-high RPMs.
shorty are for deliver more power horsepower and torque from idle to the mid-RPM range.

if that helps you

The following users liked this post:
dusty1 (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, so that would make shorty work fine.
Not trying to break the land speed record, just the axles.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The 39800 and the 39806 are the same header, just one is coated and one isn't. They look like full length headers to me. Here's some pictures of the headers installed in a D1: Frankenrover - Swapping a Bosch D2 4.6 engine into a GEMS D1 Land Rover Discovery.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

so, that is just an incorrect description, given by summit?
one says full length one says shorty.

if so, great, because I ordered the ones that said shorty style because they are, at least, coated.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

it would appear that it is an error, but the Hedman site uses the same description. They have images for each header and they are identical. They even include a note on the image for the coated one saying that the image is correct except it is coated. If you think about it, I really doubt they would set up two jigs and bend up different tubes for headers for a Land Rover.

The following 2 users liked this post by 04duxlr:
dusty1 (11-01-2014), Shiftonthefly1 (12-02-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

I have a set of Hedman on my D1. There are a few issues I ran into that you may or may not run into on the D2.
- Knock sensor had to be replaced with a D2 one. Since you have a D2 this may not be an issue.
- The ball/socket collectors suck ***. There's really no good way to seal them. What I'd do is cut the ball/socket off and weld in this flex joint and a better more rigid coupling system that uses a gasket. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/je...FYQ9aQodLKEA_Q
- The flange for the ball/socket hits or is 1mm away from the frame rails.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:46 AM
Jnj
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dusty did you ever order your headers for your D2?

If so how did they fit? Long tube or shorty style? Any performance benefit from them?

I have a leak between manifold and y pipe and figure if I have to take a manifold off to repair I might as well upgrade

Quick Reply: which headers?