LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

2008 LR2 Very Noisy at startup. Especially in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 05:52 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 LR2 Very Noisy at startup. Especially in reverse

Thanks for helping! I bought a 2008 LR2, it has 82k miles, it has had some issues since we got it. Namely when i start it up cold it really makes a loud noise coming from the right side of the engine compartment. It is especially loud when I put the car into reverse. The sounds goes away for the most part as the engine warms up. Anyone else know what this could be? TIA

clovis996
Jaguar XF
Land Rover LR2

Old 07-12-2016, 01:57 AM
1st Gear

Hello

Same issue here LR2 HSR 08. loud noise on startup until the RPM goes down then its calms.
also, I noticed degraded acceleration and lagged shifting after 3rd gear.

Thanks.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:49 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same issue here LR2 HSE 2008. Any idea what is going on and where to check first?

Old 09-21-2020, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by clovis996
Thanks for helping! I bought a 2008 LR2, it has 82k miles, it has had some issues since we got it. Namely when i start it up cold it really makes a loud noise coming from the right side of the engine compartment. It is especially loud when I put the car into reverse. The sounds goes away for the most part as the engine warms up. Anyone else know what this could be? TIA

clovis996
Jaguar XF
Land Rover LR2

Did you ever find what caused this issue? I have the same right now.

Thank you

Old 07-19-2021, 02:37 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by clovis996

clovis996
Jaguar XF
Land Rover LR2

I am dealing with this issue as well after a return from off roading. 2008 LR2 Petrol. I am looking to have a transmission flush and ATF fluid replacement even though the transmission (Aisin Warner AWF-21) is designed sealed for life. Has anyone done that for a 2008 LR2 Petrol?

Old 07-19-2021, 02:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVoiceOfReason
I am dealing with this issue as well after a return from off roading. 2008 LR2 Petrol. I am looking to have a transmission flush and ATF fluid replacement even though the transmission (Aisin Warner AWF-21) is designed sealed for life. Has anyone done that for a 2008 LR2 Petrol?
Yes. "Sealed for life" is wishful thinking. If that is true, why would the service manual give you instructions on how to change the fluid?

Old 07-19-2021, 04:11 PM
Winching
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

I had my drivetrain fluids (transmission, transfer case, diff) changed at 130K miles. I really should have done it much sooner as common wisdom is every 60K miles. It was not a flush, but a drain & fill. Flushing is not recommended for most fluids, with perhaps the exception of coolant. These fluid changes were preventive maintenance, I did not have a problem to solve. Savvy vehicle owners know that "lifetime" fluids means for the duration of the warranty.

I'm wondering about the cause of that noise. Sounds like something is leaking and the seal is closing up when the engine gets warm.

I'm not generally a fan of using the parts shotgun to solve an undiagnosed problem, but the 08 LR2 is old enough that most parts can be rationally replaced as preventive maintenance. Check if the noise sounds like its coming from the valve cover (LR023777). It's unrelated to the transmission, but known to be a source of noise.

Last edited by LR2driver; 07-19-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:52 AM
Winching
Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Flush is probably not a good idea. Change is good, I'm shooting for 50K going forward but I first had it done at 110K. It improved the shift performance with no ill effects. At high mileage you might consider a partial change to minimize the risk of dissolving any accumulated crud... but like I said I got away with a full change at 110K

Any indie euro shop should be able to do it, lots of volvos have the same drivetrain and they DO have a change interval specified. For DIY, there's plenty of how-to info on the Brit forums. They mostly have the diesel motor but the tranny is the same...

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic28619.html

Last edited by merlinj79; 07-20-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by merlinj79
Flush is probably not a good idea.
That depends how you define "flush". Adding some chemical into the transmission to flush it like some people do before an oil change, or with radiators, is indeed a bad idea. But simply loading it with the transmission fluid, warming it up, then replacing it again won't do any harm, and it does help to remove that "accumulated crud."

Old 07-21-2021, 10:12 AM
Winching
Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by flybd5
That depends how you define "flush". Adding some chemical into the transmission to flush it like some people do before an oil change, or with radiators, is indeed a bad idea. But simply loading it with the transmission fluid, warming it up, then replacing it again won't do any harm, and it does help to remove that "accumulated crud."
Flush is in the eye of the beholder. For an older car that's never had the fluid changed I'd tend to start with a partial change to minimize sudden changes... regular partial changes might help slowly dissolve accumulated crud over time. You could also drive it for a while and then do anther partial, drive some more and then do a full change. Unfortunately the change is a bit of a PITA on this car... I just let my shop do it and he did a full.

Once you're "caught up" to your satisfaction then full changes at a reasonable interval should be fine, or as you say a flush with ATF followed by a full change would be even better.

No right or wrong answer... no way to know how gunked up a particular tranny might or might not be if it's high mileage and never been changed.

Quick Reply: 2008 LR2 Very Noisy at startup. Especially in reverse