LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

2008 LR2 Won't Turn Over...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 11:04 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 LR2 Won't Turn Over...Problem Identified at the bottom of the Thread

My 2008 LR2 decided to not start. After driving it in the morning, I went back out to the car, placed the key FOB into place...pushed the start button...The dash lights came on...it ran through the normal electronic start up process, but did not turn over. It made a series of electrical clicking sounds back and forth from what seems like under the steering column to the fuse box on the front passenger side. The dash said steering column locked. Attempted several times with no success. Attempted the following steps..

1) Checked battery. Detached cables and reattached after touching cables together for a fair amount of time to attempt to reset ECU.
2) Ran a Bluedriver OBD2 scanner. No error codes found.
3) checked fuses
4) used different FOB key.

Any suggestions?

The car has 70000 miles and automatic transmission.

Last edited by bburson; 12-08-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:24 AM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Sounds like you might have a bad starter (same thing happened to my 2008 LR2). For the six months just before the starter completely died, it would sometimes start with hesitation, a warning of what was to come.

Up until now, has your LR2 always started right up without missing a beat, or have you noticed that it hesitated?

The following users liked this post:
bburson (11-29-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 11:38 AM
7th Gear

Up until this point it has never hesitated. If it is the starter, if I take off the skid plate is it easy enough to reach? Wondering about checking voltage at that spot and also tapping starter to see if it is just stuck. Wishful thinking..

Old 11-24-2016, 07:18 PM
7th Gear

Is replacing the starter motor on this vehicle a DIY job?

Old 11-25-2016, 04:44 PM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

It's always a good idea to give the starter a whack in case it's stuck. I don't know how often that's the case, but it certainly conforms to the process of trying the least expensive solution first.

I don't have the skill level to replace a major engine component, so for me it wasn't a DIY job. As I recall, the dealer charged me approx $750 for parts & labor. You might get a cheaper quote if you go to a non-dealer shop.

Please post back and let us know what the final solution was. Good learnings for everyone.

bburson (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 04:17 PM
7th Gear

I have been looking for a detailed repair manual for this vehicle (LR2 2008). I purchased a 1 month access to the online version of a manual for this vehicle via Alldatadiy.com, but the details available through that are pretty sparse. Has anyone had any success in finding a detailed repair manual for an 2008 LR2? I'm tempted to try replacing the starter motor myself if I can narrow it down to that being the issue. Someone else that I have spoken with who had a vehicle with a key FOB, had a similar starting problem and they had to have their Steering Lock Module replaced. A $1000 job. :/...His mechanic said that it was a notorious problem for vehicles with key FOBs. I pray that is not the case. If anyone has any insights/input, please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by bburson; 11-29-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:39 PM
7th Gear

It worked!! It was the solenoid pin in the steering lock module on the steering column that was the culprit. After following oliver1071's directions about this problem, I took off the lower portion of the plastic steering cover/cowling, identified the steering column lock module (it is actually a Volvo part with the name Volvo stamped right on it) and then took a screwdriver and a hammer and tapped it several times to release the solenoid pin mechanism that was stuck inside. After that, it started right up several times without hesitation. Planning on keeping a hammer and screwdriver with me just in case, for future use. It may not be a permanent solution, but, for now it works and saved a tow to a Land Rover mechanic and an expensive repair! I'm so thankful for this Land Rover forum and especially to oliver1071 for his assistance!

This video helped me understand where the fault was.....

Here is a picture of I took of the module that I hit:

Old 10-02-2018, 01:51 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread but thought I would post here in case anyone searches and find it like I did.

I just had to replace the starter on my daughters 2008 lr2.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised -- first thing Ive done on her car that wasnt a pita.

It was the easiest starter Ive ever replaced.
-- Drop the under body protective panel.
-- remove one nut holding positive power cable to starter
-- remove one nut holding starting signal wire to starter
-- remove two bolts holding the starter in place
-- remove starter

Install in reverse order -- everything is accessible with no issues getting to any bolts or bolts
Its a 30 minute to 1 hour job at most.

Chasrs2018 (10-02-2023)
Old 12-21-2018, 11:47 AM
3rd Gear

Seems like I have the same problem. When I insert the fob, it unlock/lock doors, radio works, alarm works, just won't start. Just a slight click sound. The vehicle won't jump start. Had the battery checked and charged. I had a mechanic check the starter and he said it is good. He said the vehicle was probably immobilized and need to reset the code by a dealership. My predicament is the closest one is 90 miles away. Need your advice and inputs. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:59 AM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check the

Check the fuses in the engine compartment. I have an 08 lr2 and recently had the same symptoms as you. Luckily I found it be a blown fuse in the fuse box in the engine bay. One of the green fuses was burnt out. Replaced it and everything working fine several months since.

Quick Reply: 2008 LR2 Won't Turn Over...