LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Bizarre sound from dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 11:33 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bizarre sound from dash

Hello all, happy to be here with my "new" 2008 LR2.

The most odd events happened today, so I hope someone out there has some insight.

I was happily driving along today, car was running great, no odd noises... stopped at an auto shop to change all three wipers. Get back in the car, cycle the wipers to make sure the blades wouldn't fly off...

Now I have a new sound. Behind the instrument cluster, and more specifically (I think) underneath the dash by the pedals and near the pollen filter, I have a sound that sounds like *whir-whir-click*, then silence, then 2 seconds later *whir-whir-click*.

At first I thought maybe the wiper relay was still running, however all wipers work fine in all settings. The sound ONLY goes away when I turn the climate control completely off. I've read other threads talking about the recirc. motor can go wacky, but turning recirc on and off does nothing. The only thing that makes the sound go away is when the climate system is completely off or if I shut the car down completely. I've tried full a/c, full heat, changing air vent positions, etc. Nothing... only goes away with climate off or engine off.

I also may be crazy, but it seems like when the whir-whir-click is going, the air out the vents isn't quite as cold as it should be with a/c on full blast, and once the sound stops, it seems like colder air until the sound starts again.

Please help, I cannot figure out what the hell is going on. I thought about bringing it to LR tomorrow for their best guess, but I don't want to pay $500+ for something stupid.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 AM
4wd Low

hello hungrypilot..

I can save you some time and money..
I have the exact same issue.. took it to LR and they did the latest update on the climate system (2013 October)... no joy.
They did a hard reset, and the noise (like a motor trying to find its position) went away.. to come back last month !
it lasted 8 months.
now i probably will do another hard reset when i get some energy (i just turn on the radio)
let me know if you get it right

BTW I have a MY2010 TD4 e

Old 07-07-2014, 11:06 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the info. It stopped doing it yesterday, and started doing it again today. I also took it in today for its 100k mile service and told them to peek at it. It definitely blends in a little warmer air when it's making the noise, and is cooler when it's not doing it.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:54 AM
4wd Low
Lightbulb

a little more info.. for Hungrypilot
mine as you know started doing it again...
today i cycled all the air con/climate control buttons and settings.. and to my surprise no hot air on my side.. only passenger !!
I took it to LR and they checked the software.. it was still the current one (August 2013) no new software for the climate system.

They reset everything, and then the system functioned 100% and no wrrr wrrrr noise.

then it came to me !!!! my side of the temperature is always at 20C and i never move it (unlike my wife that plays with her setting all the time)..
so over time its possible that the flap sticks in that position due to humidity and dust.. and the stepper motor tries to find its open and closed limits.. but its not got the power to move it ! hence the wrrr wrrr.
i think that it's important to once in a while to put max and min temperatures.. so that the flaps move.
now my system works 100%
maybe try it ... possibly its also a temperature flap motor which is giving you problems

UPDATE:
its doing it again... i am lost for an explanation

UPDATE 2
back from LR.. changed the battery (mine was almost 5 years old) it was showing perfect voltage but low peak current (600 amps instead of 800).
as if by magic my climate system is functioning 100%..
Again, i don't know if its because they reset the lot by changing battery or if indeed the extra current available at start has cured something.
I will continue to share my experiences, hoping it will help someone.

Last edited by donnus; 07-09-2014 at 05:25 AM. Reason: updated
Old 07-13-2014, 01:20 AM
4wd Low

hello Hunrgrypilot.. any news ?

mine started doing it randomly again...
no pattern yet (i am noting down things, as LR have no clue as what it is)

Last edited by donnus; 07-18-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:33 AM
4wd Low

just to update..

got my freelander back from Land Rover.
they changed the left stepper motor..
now all seems ok..
i am keeping my fingers crossed

Last edited by donnus; 07-25-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:41 PM
3rd Gear

How much did everything cost?

Old 07-25-2014, 05:01 PM
4wd Low
Thumbs up

@ hungrypilot

i paid € 250 for the lot

BUT:
the actual stepper motor is only €80, and the labour is the rest (the LH motor needs the steering column and the knee airbag removed)
also bear in mind that as a first step they tried in vain to play around with the SSD software (about 1 hour wasted)
so if you go in and ask them to change the motor straight away, it should be a bit cheaper.
i hope u come right