LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Buying 2008 LR2 and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:27 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 2008 LR2 and need advice

Trading in my BMW x3 for an LR2. Test drove a 2008 with 82,000 miles yesterday. Loved it. I grew up with Rovers and can't wait to get back aboard!
Yesterday's LR2 didn't start. Salesman jumped it. I'm thinking it might have alternator issues from coolant leak mentioned in this forum. Also driver's seat is torn on outer edge from exiting the car.
My question: should I pull the trigger on the 82,000 mile LR2 for $13K, or wait and buy a 2009 model?

Old 02-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

It's not unusual for a car in a sales lot to need a jump start since it may be sitting there awhile before anyone wants to test drive it. I've had this happen to me even when I went to test drive a brand new car. The sales guy seemed practiced in explaining to me that customers will often open the doors and sit inside (which turns on the inside light) and over a period of time that will drain the battery if the car isn't started. So they have a portable jump starter within arm's reach.

I have an 08 LR2 with a small tear in the seat in the same area. I just put some tape over it and don't notice it. But you could certainly use that as a bargaining point.

The only difference in the 09 model that I can think of is the storage space in the center console might be larger than the small compartment in the 08 model. But the glove box is plenty big on both the 08 and 09 models so you shouldn't have any problem finding a space to put things.

Last edited by LR2driver; 02-12-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:44 PM
8th Gear

I think a 2008 with 80K miles for $13K is a great deal. I am on my second 2005 LR3 after first one got totalled in an accident (other driver's fault). Both have cracks in driver's side seat. Tears are soon to come I am sure!

Old 02-13-2014, 07:37 PM
Overlanding

You may want to get them to check if the battery will hold a charge -like the auto stores will do. Those batteries aren't cheap, and you don't want to be stranded somwhere after you buy it and the battery dies on you.
Also, my 08 lr2 has a small tear in the leather seat from exiting. It's unfortunate, but I just try to ignore it.

Last edited by aaron svendsen; 02-13-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:46 AM
2nd Gear
Default Thank you for your LR2 help

Thank you fellow Rover lovers for your help.
Dealership has installed new battery, and is repairing torn seat. Also they are checking to ensure coolant is not leaking onto alternator.
That's it. Should be driving soon!

Originally Posted by LR2driver
It's not unusual for a car in a sales lot to need a jump start since it may be sitting there awhile before anyone wants to test drive it. I've had this happen to me even when I went to test drive a brand new car. The sales guy seemed practiced in explaining to me that customers will often open the doors and sit inside (which turns on the inside light) and over a period of time that will drain the battery if the car isn't started. So they have a portable jump starter within arm's reach.

I have an 08 LR2 with a small tear in the seat in the same area. I just put some tape over it and don't notice it. But you could certainly use that as a bargaining point.

The only difference in the 09 model that I can think of is the storage space in the center console might be larger than the small compartment in the 08 model. But the glove box is plenty big on both the 08 and 09 models so you shouldn't have any problem finding a space to put things.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:51 PM
Overlanding

Do not buy it.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 AM
3rd Gear

chances are I am a bit late here.

If you have already purchased it, I would also purchase a good tool kit & an additional starter motor. Leave these in the trunk. I never go anywhere without them.

I have owned an 08 LR2 for the last two years. While it is one of the smoothest riding car's I have owned, it has also been the most troublesome.
I have clocked roughly 10000 Miles since purchasing it, and it has been a wonderful experience of getting to know every inch of the vehicles interior & under-carriage .
I have had two starter motors fail on me (quite easy to rebuild / change out , but not when you are out and about)
It has starting issues that others have labelled as "hot/cold start trouble", where the vehicle will have difficulty starting initially (continuously turning over)
If you live in an area where the temperature is hot, say goodbye to the headlining. The glue is weak.
I have currently come across my front lower control arm bushing completely rotting out.
Parts are not the cheapest, but that goes with anything with a badge I guess.
As much as I dislike the car, I like it. It will be a nightmare to sell.