LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Dash Cam wiring for LR2

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 07:30 PM
Winching
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Dash Cam wiring for LR2

Has anyone installed a dashcam and found a good way to route the power wiring so it doesn't look like a hack job? Pics appreciated!

Old 02-03-2016, 05:10 PM
Winching

I just completed the wiring for my new dashcam. It's mounted on the windshield behind the rear view mirror.

I tucked the power cord behind the headliner and ran it across the passenger side to the A pillar. Then tucked it behind the A pillar down to the dashtop. I did not have to remove the headliner or A pillar as I was able to pull them back just enough to allow me to push the wire behind it. Then I ran the wire across the top of the dashtop and tucked it into the cover that goes vertically alongside and to the right of the glove box cover.

I might have been able to remove a section of the dashtop and hide the short length of wire that runs above it, but I didn't want to risk damaging any of the plastic fasteners. The exposed wire is not really apparent unless you are looking for it. So it's mostly hidden but not completely.

I purchased a CLA (Cigarette Lighter Adapter) socket and mounted it behind the glove box, attaching it with nylon wire ties to a hard plastic mesh screen that happens to be there.

For positive power, I connected a fuse tap to the F5 fuse location which has switched power that turns on and off with the vehicle. The F5 slot already had a 10A fuse in it (purpose unknown). The fuse tap keeps that original 10A fuse and adds a second fuse for the accessory. I added a 3A fuse for the dashcam.

For the negative ground, I found an empty screw hole in a metal case just to the left of the glove box. I inserted a bolt with a wire connector into this hole for the ground.

You have to use the CLA power plug that comes with the dashcam because it contains a circuit board that steps down the 12V power to approx 5V for a USB device. So you cannot just cut off the plug and connect the wires directly. I pushed the plug into the socket and the wiring was complete.

You need to remove the glove box to gain access for this work. Here are two resources that helped me remove it, one is a forum post and the second is a YouTube video. I couldn't have pulled this project off without these references to guide me:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...artment-35280/

Last edited by LR2driver; 02-05-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Winching

Attached is a photo with an overlay showing how the Dashcam power cord is routed in my LR2. This is a typical routing for most vehicles.

The section of the wire shown in color red is visible. (The wire itself is black.)

The section of the wire shown in color green is hidden behind the headliner, a panel, or the glove box.

Attached Thumbnails Dash Cam wiring for LR2-dashcam-wiring-diagram.jpg