LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Digital Radio Retrofit to LR2

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Digital Radio Retrofit to LR2

Latest project is to retrofit DAB+ digital radio.

Although we have done DAB+ which is a European/Australian service, the same process applies if you want to install Sirius Digital Radio for North America, it's just a different module.

Have actually done two cars in two days, my mate over in Perth with his 2015 Freelander, and our 2008 model. They are slightly different in the wiring arrangements and the location of the DAB+ module, and the radio system is totally different, but surprising enough the exact same modules are used.

What's cool about what i've done with mine is that JLR only made DAB+ digital radio available from 2013, and i've put it in a 2008 model, which didn't even have DAB available when the car was built. The only digital option they had at the beginning of 2008 was the Sirius system for North America. So i'm pretty sure i'm the first to have done this, ever...

Here's the parts for the 2008 model;

DAB+ module taken out of a 2014 Jag XF, DAB antenna amplifier, mounting bracket for the module, two MOST fiber optic cables, the special double coaxial cable with Fakra connectors, and the power cable to the module. All spare parts from Land Rover, which is nice. The 2015 model needed custom-made coaxial cables. What's missing from this pic is the sharkfin roof antenna, but for Australia where the DAB+ is only broadcast on Band-III, the window antenna is all that's needed, the sharkfin is only for Band-L.

The coax cable, this was all of £2

DAB amplifier mounted in the roof an attached to the window antenna.

The DAB+ module mounted on the bracket and wired up. Unfortunately one of the MOST fiber optic cables was about 3 metres too long. I ordered all the parts blind out of the catalog based on description only. Better too long than too short though...

Had to tap into the rear fuse box for power to the module. I had ordered a power connector that looked like a plug & play thing, but buggered if I could find anywhere to plug it in. In any case it's tapped into the fuse which is for the DAB module according to the owners handbook, so it's semi-legit. I did solder that joint btw before anyone jumps on me...

So, change the field in the CCF to "with Digital Audio Broadcasting" and wow! it's working!

The sound quality is excellent, ****s all over regular FM. I won't say CD quality but it's pretty close to it. The Surround Sound really makes a different now, and the audio spectrum is really full, you can feel the subwoofer shaking the whole car, never got that with FM radio before, only CD.

Mine being an older model it doesn't have the whizzy touchscreen of the 2015 model though. His looks bloody awesome on the screen...