LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Disconnecting LR2 battery for long vacation

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 08:21 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disconnecting LR2 battery for long vacation

Hi All.

Im sure most of you are aware of the LR2 battery drain that a lot of owners are experiencing.

I was wondering, to avoid having a drained battery when i get back from my vacation, i thought i might disconnect the battery in the airport car park, this will avoid the battery drain.

BUT, will i cause another issue when i get back? I thought i could manually lock the drivers door after the battery has been disconnected, then on my return, simply open the door old school, pop the hood, re-conect the battery and off i go!

Or, is there something i am missing here.

Thanks for your valid input.

Cozzer

Old 04-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I am away and my wife went out to start the LR2. Dead as a door nail. I don't know what disconnecting the battery will do but by the time I get home next week I can't imagine any battery power left regardless.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:20 AM
7th Gear

Even the 2015, LR2's do this?

Old 04-15-2016, 08:01 PM
Winching
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Just keep one of those Lithium battery packs in your car (e.g., Antigravity XP-1). It can jump-start your car several times before it needs recharging.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Overlanding

I just experienced the dead battery syndrome, after leaving the car for 5 days. Brand new battery, which when tested, was fine. Battery check indicated it was drawing a bit over 1 Amp when everything was turned off. Not sure disconnecting the battery is a good idea. After mine came back to life, I had to reset the auto up function for the front windows (easy to do), but also found that after using the AC, the heat on the drivers side no longer worked, but did on the passenger side. Took it in and the dealer reset the computer, and said that loss of electrical power can impact various functions. The good news was that he told me the prior owner (local) had them install a charging system to plug in when leaving the car for a few days. Once the battery drains to a certain level, it kicks in and keeps it charged. Of course, leaving it at the airport or other long term parking lot will still kill it, as none that I know of have elec plugs.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:55 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF you want to disconnect, it will be fine, please follow this step

1. Switch Off the car
2. Wait for 1 minute (to ensure ECU shutdown is done)
3. disconnect the negative only
4. cover the negative cable/connector with any isolator
5. lock the car manually

If you have new battery and get drained quickly, check the alternator
Use voltmeter

1. if engine is off check battery if it's 12,xx volt (DC) then it's normal, if less beware
2. if engine is on check battery if it's 13,xx to 14,xx volt (DC) then it's normal, means alternator is doing charging to battery as well while engine is running, if not beware your altenartor might have issue on charging