LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Feeling ripped-off by repair shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feeling ripped-off by repair shop

I have a 2001 Discovery II and have had it since new. Recently the "TC", "ABS" and "HDC" lights came on. I took it to my local British repair shop (that I haven't used before) and without looking at the car he told me the sensors in the wheel well need to be replaced. He hooked it up to the computer and said the computer told him one of the sensors was not responding and the other was weak so they needed to be replaced.

$600 later the lights are still coming on. Now he's talking about having to put it back on the computer, taking a closer look and possibly replace something else.

I know that the 3 lights issue has been addressed before here. My real question is whether this guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about. His answer to everything seems to be to put it on the computer and replace whatever the computer tells him. When I say that he's charging me for things that are not fixing the problem he says that he can only do what the computer tells him. Is this guy an amateur? Should I go elsewhere? Or is this how a shop that "claims" to know Land Rovers typically troubleshoots and fixes problems? I hate to take it back to him if he has no ability to figure out the problem without replacing the “x” number of things the computer tells him.

It seems like the old days a mechanic actually could work out the problem without blindly replacing parts because the computer says so.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Feeling ripped-off by repair shop

Next time post in the Disco section so you will get more replys.
If you want to get the info you need to resolve your TRIO issue, send me your tele number and a good time for me to call you.