LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Fix for acceleration lag?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 10:24 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix for acceleration lag?

I just bought a 2014 LR2 for the wife, and love the car....except the horrible turbo lag. I'm a gear head, and fully know about turbo lag while it spools, but I'm talking about this vehicles absolute dead pedal response from 0 mph while it spools then it jumps on you. I've driven turbos, built turbo engines, and this complete dead pedal while the turbo spools is really bad. It's almost like the cars ECU is throttling the acceleration while waiting for the turbo to kick in. I've always been into cars/trucks that have a healthy aftermarket parts pool, but there seems to be little out there for this vehicle. Are there any programmers or interceptors out there that can modify the original ECU tunes on this? Not having much searching google for it.

-LR newb

Old 09-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was afraid of this. We have both an LR2 with six cylinder engine and an Evoque with the four cylinder turbo. The lag is quite noticeable on the Evoque and I would not be surprised even more so on the LR2.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:18 AM
Three Wheeling

Check your transmission system, it could be slipping transmission clutches caused by clutch solenoid failure, bad transmission fluid or transmission oil pump, and worn-out or burned clutches.If your system is fine, and you still want ecu modified, you can borrow a fgtech from a local mechanic. The current version is v54. Most local mechanics only have v53, and I am not sure if v53 will work for 2014 LR2.

Last edited by LRScot; 09-19-2014 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:21 PM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

It always seemed odd to me that an SUV would be equipped with a turbo engine.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Winching
Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Mines an '08, so no turbo but I assume your tranny has a "sport mode"? That would keep the revs up and maybe keep the turbo spooled.

Also curious because I thinking about getting another LR2, but leery of the new motors (I like what I have).

Old 09-29-2014, 01:16 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merlinj79
Mines an '08, so no turbo but I assume your tranny has a "sport mode"? That would keep the revs up and maybe keep the turbo spooled.

Also curious because I thinking about getting another LR2, but leery of the new motors (I like what I have).
Lol, yes, I'm aware of Sport Mode, and no, it doesn't do squat to eliminate the turbo lag.

In a single turbo setup, the exhaust has to spool up that turbo no matter what you do. It can be mitigated if engineered right, but it is what it is. That's why many auto manufacturers are using a sequential twin-turbo (Ford EcoBoost) setup. In a sequential setup, almost all the exhaust at low speeds/idle is sent to a first turbo, which keeps it spooled up for instant turbo under acceleration. Then when the exhaust is sufficient to run both turbos, you'll feel a second kick.

Anyway....don't let the turbo lag stop you from buying one. The little Ford turbo engine is good, reliable and has a solid history based on racing.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:08 PM
3rd Gear

I recently took a new 2014 Evoque for a test drive and found the turbo drag ridicules for a $65K (Cdn) vehicle. The sales rep switched it to the Sport mode and the drag was reduced somewhat. Don’t forget the Evoque uses second gear from a standing start (to save gas). The Sport mode forces the vehicle to start in first gear. I did not buy the Evoque because of this; instead I bought a 2011 LR2 with the inline 6 (plenty of power and no drag). The push to maximize gas mileage has resulted in high end vehicles performing like lawnmowers.I am waiting for the 2016 Evoque release to see if they have beefed up the power plant.