LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Gear Shift Button/Lock no longer locking. Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Gear Shift Button/Lock no longer locking. Fix?

I have a 2009 LR2 HSE. The gear shift button that you press to put the car in gear is no longer working. It just feels like it is perpetually pushed in, and I can put the car in gear without pressing the button. Also, while I am driving the gear can easily be pushed into a different gear if it is bumped. I am really concerned that it could get bumped into reverse or park at some point in time as I am driving and completely kill my transmission.

Is there a way to fix this? (I do not live near a dealer) Is it something simple, or a much more complex fix that requires a dealership.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

I had a similar problem, and others have, too. See this post:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...-issues-57599/

I replaced my shifter handle with part # LR052792 which was not too expensive and I don't recall if a new handle was even required because once I got it apart and looked inside I realized there is a plastic piece that broke and this piece is part of a larger shifter assembly # LR002598 which costs over $200 and I'm not sure how difficult it is to replace this larger assembly. So I have continued to use the shifter without the button lock and have not had any problems ... I haven't even thought about it for years until I read your post.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:37 PM
Mudding

Thanks for those part numbers. I am not terribly worried about it. But I just see at some point in time, my wife hitting it while grabbing her huge purse out of the backseat while we are racing down the highway on a road trip, and kicking it into reverse or park while we are going 80 miles an hour. I think just for piece of mind, I need to fix it. Did you have any documentation on how to take the assembly apart?

Old 01-14-2016, 01:30 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by lazerbrains
Did you have any documentation on how to take the assembly apart?
I assume you're referring to the shifter assembly LR002598. I don't have any docs on this. My impression is that you replace it as a single unit, which is unfortunate because it's only a small piece of plastic that is broken. My concern about removing/replacing it prevented me from going further.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Mudding

So, I took my car in recently to have the oil changed and somehow they broke a piece of plastic on the inside of the button of the gear shift. Now when I drive down bumpy or dirt roads, my gear shifter sounds like a Marraca. It is driving me crazy, so i am going to attempt to open this thing up and at least get the broken plastic pieces out of it. And may even attempt to replace the housing. (Which I am hoping with fix the original problem of the shifter no long er locking.)

I found this part on Ebay

Does anyone know if this part would fix the gear shift locking issue?

Also, if anyone has any information on how I should begin removing the gear shift housing, that would be extremely helpful too.

The Marracas have to go.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:09 PM
Winching

It sounds like the little spring in the shifter handle is broken. Check this post for some useful info:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...-issues-57599/